AX10G review by Korg

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Korg: AX10G

Purchased from: Music Shop

I use it with a Kustom 10W practice amp or more often my Peavey Basic 60 Bass amp (which gets used with a normal electric). I usually use my Vintage Metal Axxe Razer with it, and it sounds pretty good to my ears in general, however if you are after very heavy distortion, don't count on this unit, it's pretty good when it comes to lower levels, but the stronger, more saturated distortion tones are fairly awful. The effects built into this pedal are pretty good - the chorus, phaser and pitch effects are the ones I use most often, and they're pretty good for a multi-effects pedal. The Wah is alright, but I wasn't all that impressed with it. It'll do to tide me over for a while, but eventually I'll be getting a Morley to get the tone I'm after. It's possible to get a wide range of tones here, such as Black Sabbath, bluesy crunch type distortion, or cleaner stuff like the Chilis.

I play everything from System Of A Down to Robert Johnson, and this pedal handles most of what I do well, except the heavier end, for that I tend to use either a Russian Big Muff or a Boss MT-2. I've been playing about 14 months, and I've outlined most of what I have already. Apart form that, I have a Westfield Strat Copy and I'm borrowing a Spider II 212 from our bassist (had it a couple of months). I wish I'd tried out a few different pedals before buying the AX10G as I'm not too happy with the Wah's range, but generally for a Multi-Effects unit its pretty good. If it was stolen now I would not buy it again, as I don't need a lot of what is on it, and so I would probably just use the insurance money top get a couple of stomp boxes or something, and also, the tone is good, but not great, so I would look for something a little better. Overall I'm impressed by this, but I wish it had a better Wah Range, and a better heavy distortion, as the heaviest distortion on this is just too trebly for my liking.

I've recently found a problem with this - having had it about 10 months, it seems to have stopped working on batteries, I have no idea why, but I will email customer services about it. Apart from that, I've not had any problems with it. I wouldn't probably gig with it, but as the backup, rather than without one. I would prefer to get a bunch of separate stomp boxes to get a better tone, but money is short!

It will take a good couple of weeks too get fully used to the controls on this pedal, but once you master them, it's pretty easy to shape your tone as you would like. The manual is pretty good, nothing special though, but generaly fairly helpful.