AX1500G review by Korg

Korg: AX1500G

Purchased from: www.Thomann.de

I am currently using a 50 Watt Marshall Amp with the pedal, along with a variety of guitars, all of which are suited to different types of music. The pedal works very well with each. At first I thought that something was wrong with the pedal because a loud screeching noise was given off every time I switched between programs. It turned out that the lead was faulty, so the pedal was perfectly fine. You can adjust the master volume of the pedal or edit the different values for each effect. The effects are excellent. Full stop. At the minute I have been trying to emulate the sound of Muse guitarist Matt Bellamy. Unfortunately, the closest I can get is to using a pitch bender on some of the guitar licks that he does (solo to invincible being a good example). Since Bellamy uses a Z. Vex Fuzz Factory which is built into his guitar, it is very hard to get the sound right from any effects pedal, even one as good as this. The first riff I tried on this pedal was 'Woman' by Wolfmother, using the Big Fuzz effect, and I must say, I matched up to the CD. Chorus is the only effect that I can honestly say is a bit weak from the off. But, with a bit of tweaking, you can sort that out. Every other effect is very good.

I play a wide variety of music (metal, rock, acoustic, blues, etc.) and the effect pedal caters to my musical needs. I've been playing for 4 or 5 years now. I can't remember exactly. Long enough to know what I'm doing, but not long enough to be called great, despite what people might say. I won 1 semi-acoustic guitar, 4 electric guitars, 1 shortscale bass guitar and a Marshall 50 Watt amp, as well as a mixing desk and Peavey speakers. If it were stolen or I lost it, I would definitely buy this again, as it is a bargain and just what I am looking for. My favourite feature is the amount of preset programs you can use for different styles of music and songs, and how you can adapt these programs. The expression pedal works excellently as a wah pedal and is used for numerous other effects. This is another key asset to the pedal.

I can say without a doubt that I can depend on the pedal. I would use it in a gig without a backup since I know it won't fail halfway through, and it has every effect that I need really. The only thing that kind of ticked me off was that it cme with a foreign plug. Because I Live in the UK, I had to get a plug adaptor in order for it to work. A minor setback at the end of the day, because it is a great pedal.

The Toneworks AX1500G is relatively easy to use. When I first got it the manuel that came free with it was, unfortunately, in Deutsch. Seeing as though I am not fluent in Deutsch, I had to spend a day just trying to figure it out for myself. After reading an English version of the manuel the next day, I am pleased to say that I got the basics correct without actually knowing what the basics were. It's very easy to use because the effects pedal is self explanatory. Editing can be used for each effect on the pedal, and it is very easy to do this. You can figure this out without the aid of the manuel if need be. The manuel (whichever language it is in) is very useful nonetheless, as it explains the different programs and banks that can be used on the pedal. You can also learn about the advanced things that you can do on the pedal which is definitely not obvious from the first glance (e.g. Phrase Trainer).