AX1500G review by Korg

Korg: AX1500G

After 3 years of carting this unit all over the world, I finally sold my Marshall and DigiTech gear and have been using a Vox Valvetronix with a Behringer quad box (Bugera), and of course, the Korg, ever since. I also play a custom made electric guitar with DiMarzio PAF Pro's and my own guitars called ZIG, and a Strat. OK, OK, I now hear people scream: "Dude, how can you downgrade to a Vox and Behringer?" Well, I always preferred Marshall tones, which are sharp and crisp compared to a Mesa Boogie et al, which tend to be too flabby in the bass (i.e. no clarity). At the same time, I didn't always like the scratchiness of Marshall (I had a JMP-1). This combination I now have is awesome as I can get good, rock, hard rock and sounds as well as bluesy, mellow tones. The chorus is smooth and the reverbs and delays are acceptable. The wahk pedal, however, is not particularly good as it doesn't have much definition in between the high and low wahs when shifting the pedal. It's OK but it's not a Vox or Cry Baby.

I play rock to jazz rock and acid. I find that I keep on coming back to the Korg after looking around music shops. It's a classic as far as I am concerned and I would be very upset if it died. If you want a unit that does great mellow rock tones, this is it.

YouTube preview picture

The reason I am writing this review is because the unit has had an intermittent buzz noise which became permanent a few days ago. After almost 10 years of daily use (not live, just studio) I was devastated and looked around for a new unit. Surely, over the past ten years, someone must have developed a better unit? Apart from the Vox ToneLab gear, which sounds similar to the Korg, what I heard was shocking. Sterile, transistor buzz from most of the units out there. Lucky I found the cause of the hum and a few minutes with the soldering iron fixed an earthing issue. I trust this unit not to break down in me. Ten years is a good ride.

I bought this unit when living in Korea in 2003. I tried BOSS, DigiTech and a few other mainstream and not so famous multi-effect units. The Korg was the best by far. I was looking for something to replace my Marshall gear which was really heavy to cart around. The unit features a variety of clean, compressed, acoustic, Overdrive all the way to distortion sounds a la British Rock, LA Style etc. I fell in love with the British tones and the subtle effects. It's easy to program and is very sturdy (i.e. the housing).

CoolMcAwesome
    my 1000g is capping out on me. It is over 10 years old, and has a some serious damage done to it though. So I suppose I got my money out of it.
    repoTHEemo
    I thought the demo video at the end of the very top review was pretty nice. It seemed well-rounded for the different effects and I might consider buying one of these.
    Karl sheridan
    Anyone ever used the toneworks ax1500g through a blackheart little giant 5watt all tube amp. This Irishman has. And believe me, it a mad man. To great peaces of guitar equipment I just couldn't live without.
    Yetaxa
    I've owned this pedal for about 4 years now and have no plans to "upgrade" as I can't find anything better for the money. Also, the solid metal construction means it's virtually unbreakable. I know of someone who backed their car over theirs (accidentally) and it was completely undamaged. It's got a plethora of sounds and you can programme in your own - also, if you search online, there are literally hundreds of patches other people have come up with which are fun to try out. I love my Korg AX1500G.
    beaz1
    Looking for an easy How To Video on the AX1500G. Just bought one used and its taking too long to figure it out. Anybody have link...I don't need to hear 100's of sample sounds. Thanks!