AX3000G review by Korg

Korg: AX3000G

I'm using my squire strat with a '70s fatty headstock and awesome neck. I run this thing straight to a mixer and from there into the computer. It has a noise issue, but there is a noise reducer which you can adjust. Using too much noise reduction can kill sustain, and too little can make the unit hiss. It might just be my guitar, though, and I plan on shielding it as soon as a I get a chance. The effects sound awesome. A lot of them aren't very useful for "standard" rock, but some of the things you can do with the filter and pitch shifter, in combination with ESS, can be very different. The delays sound great too, but there's no looping effect. When played clean, the tone is pretty good. It can get a rockabilly clean or a U2 clean. The compressor adds a great sound as well. When played dirty, there's a good variety available. there's a filthy, fuzzy distortion, there's a smooth, tube-y distortion, and there's a full-on metal distortion. You can even get a good Rhoads tone, and a good Metallica tone, all in one box.

Overall, I love this thing. It's my baby, and my only source of tone. I feel like it wouldn't play well with other processors, though, so if you have a killer analogue setup, I would not recommend this pedal. However, if you would like a simple recording unit to run straight into a line-input, then I would totally say go for it. I compared this with a Boss GT-8 and a Line 6 PODXT Live. The GT-8 had more features and a more "high quality" feel, but it had a more confusing interface as well as a 100 dollar higher price tag. The PODXT Live would have been my next choice, but it was also more expensive and had a more confusing interface. I might buy it again if it were stolen, however I've thought about getting a tube amp and going analogue, so I might want to try that. But, if you use a wide array of tones and crave the simplicity of single pedals, then you should definitely check this pedal out. It won't wow you with a crazy slew of features, but it won't overwhelm you either. And who knows? It might just surprise you.

This unit hasn't failed me yet. I don't gig, but I take this thing around to people's houses occasionally. The chassis is aluminum, but feels very thin. Nevertheless I feel okay with putting my whole weight on the expression pedal. I wouldn't do that with any of the buttons, since they're all plastic, but you can stomp on them without any problems.

This pedal takes a little work to truly understand it. I've owned mine for over a year, and after a few months of playing with it every day, I felt very comfortable just tweaking it on the fly. The knobs make sense across the board and the interface is organized in a very logical fashion. The manual is pretty helpful, but it's better to just play with it. It's sort of like a very large, expensive, and good quality toy. I expect first time users will encounter some problems with using it, but that's normal for a box with so many features. it's much easier than other pedals in the same class, like the Boss GT-8 or the Line 6 PODXT Live.