AX3G review by Korg

Korg: AX3G

Price paid: A$ 100

I use it with my Collins LP Replica and an older Laney amp and I must say it sounds amazing, definitely worth the amount I payed for it. The only downfall with this pedal is the buzz on distortion. On my 150 Watt amp it's very noticeable but not that loud nor disturbing. A good thing about this amp is that you can tweak the sounds. Each sound has its own parameter that you can change to suit your playing. I've been able to get a few good Pink Floyd and Metallica sounds from this.

I play Heavy Metal with my band and I must say this has some amazing distortion effects. I haven't come across many bad sounds on it in fact, unless you put two unfortunate sounds together. I've played on a few different pedals (for around the 100 dollar mark) and I liked this one the best. It's definitely the ideal beginner pedal. If someone was to ask me what pedal was best to start off with, I wouldn't hesitate. Don't expect anything miraculous though, this pedal is quite cheap and you will find much betters ones for higher prices. If this was stolen or broken, I'd be very sad (almost heartbroken), but I wouldn't buy another one. I'd save up my money and buy a more expensive pedal (much more). I compared this with the Boss ME-25, and I prefer this one.

This thing is made of plastic, so I wouldn't stomp on it, nor rely too heavily on it. It's powered by 4 AA batteries or you can get a matching 9V adapter. I use it with batteries. They run out quite quickly. Don't worry about running out of juice, because the pedal shows you when the battery's running low. I've used this in a gig. I had no problems. This pedal can survive a gig, but like I said, I wouldn't rely on it too much.

When you set this pedal up, the first thing you'll notice is that amount of presets. The presets are easy to work with and there are many of them. The next thing, is creating your own preset. It gets harder at this point. You'll work it out in around an hour but it would help if you have the manual, it goes much quicker this way (I didn't look at the manual straight away). After that, make sure it's connected to your guitar and rock on!