AX5G review by Korg

Korg: AX5G

Purchased from: GAK

I use this pedal with an Ibanez arx-120 and a Marshall MG30DFX. My guitar doesn't usually take well to lots of effects, but I tend to use the Drive and amp settings more than the effects. The drive settings are generally better than the amp settings; the drive gives great tone and aggression and the noise reduction setting more than copes with the noise produced by the Marshall. The chorus/flanger and delay/reverb are a bit cheap but for 50 pounds still pretty good. The wah-wah is the same, a bit cheap, but is better than the other effects. Some of the effects on the pedal just sound terrible and I have no idea why anyone would want to use them. I think they are designed to replicate studio effects but the pedal is too cheap to do this any justice. However this is only a small drawback.

Having had this pedal well over a year now I am very pleased with it. It produces a great sound for what I play, mostly hard rock and metal, and it's effects are good for the price. If I were to lose it I would probably not replace it as I would look for a better model but I would still definitely consider this range though.

So far no problems what'soever with it and I would definitely use it without a backup. Has been working for over a year now and I have no reason to expect it to stop working. It is plastic though and so may be quite fragile if it gets bashed around a lot. However if you take care of it there should be no problem.

This pedal, I must say, is quite complicated to use to a beginner, but once you figure it out it is ok. It is fairly easy to get a decent sound out of as long as you know a bit about balancing your sounds etc and if you read the manual that helps too. I would advise buying an adapter for it as changing batteries every 8 hours is annoying and expensive. One problem is that you can't skip between tracks i.e. 1 to 5, you must go through them all i.e. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 which is hard for gigging so you have to set your settings according to each gig you play to get them in the right order or you will be skipping multiple tracks in the middle of a song.