AX5G review by Korg

Korg: AX5G

Purchased from: Audiophile Components

I use a PRS SE Standard and a Marshall MG50DFX. I don't run the effects on the effects loop because it gets a little too bassy for me. I just plug it in the input jack where all settings are halfway. Noise is not a very big problem since the unit has a nose reduction level and it works really well. Since this is my first unit, to me it sounds great. I got a hard time tweaking and getting a chunky distorted tone because I found the distortions quite thin, but after much tweaking, I found a setting that works well for me. I've used a Zoom g7.ut and I don't like the tone I get from it. I still prefer the Korg. I've already made patches for different artists - Steve Vai, AC/DC, Pantera, Slash tone, etc and to me they sound fine so yeah, I can get the sound of my favorite artists. Most people complain about the wah effect since the pedal is way small and doesn't have much sweep, but for it's small pedal size, it can still produce a good wah effect. One thing I love is the acoustic simulator. I think it's better than Zoom's. the drone effect is also nice. My only complain is the reverb and delay. you just can't separate the two. if there's a delay, there's also got to be a reverb.

I play alternative, some punk, blues, cleans, country, worship songs, classic rock, the whole chunky and meaty riffs and some shred but I'm not quite into metal. it's a really good pedal for the stuff I play. I've been playing for 5 years now. I own an Ibanez RG321MH, an Ibanez AEG8, some other cheaper acoustics, and just recently sold a Jackson copy. I have a good Marshall MG50DFX as my main amp, some say it's bad but to me it sounds alright, I got it Brand New for only half it's price, no defects or what'soever. I only wish the Korg AX5G had a metal casing for added durability and that you can skip between patches and that there is no lag when switching between patches. if it were lost or stolen, I think I would upgrade to the AX3000G or maybe get a Boss ME-20 so I can try different brands and sounds. I love it's being very compact and portable. just throw it in your bag or gig bag's pocket and your ready to go. I also love it's acoustic simulator. Yup, I compared it with a Zoom G7\.1UT... both have their own strength and weaknesses but for the price, the you can get more from the AX5G.

I've only had this for a month and I already made a custom pedalcase for it. I'm careful with my stuff and I don't get carried away while playing (like stomping too hard of kicking the pedal) so I guess I can depend on it. I've already used it Live on a gig and it was amazing. great for Live sessions, not just for practice. I'd definetely use it on a gig without a backup as this is my only pedal. I just have to arrange the patches that would be most suitable for the progressions on the songs I will play because you can't skip patches you have to go through all of them. if you're careful with your stuff, even if it's only plastic, it would last you a long time. at first I thought it was made of cheap plastic, but no, it was hard plastic and seemed very sturdy. well, it has a metal part, the bottom part.

I bought my AX5G Brand New. although it's discontinued in the Korg company, somehow it was still available in this shop. it has good presets, and tweaking them was relatively easy. by the way, this is my first multi-effects pedal. some says the manual is crap but when you really understand it, editing and making your own patches is relatively easy. the controls are in a step-by-step process and once you get used to it, it would be pretty easy.