KP2 KAOSS Pad review by Korg

Korg: KP2 KAOSS Pad

Purchased from: eBay

I use the KP2 with a heavily modified Les Paul (featuring KP2 screen within it) and a Roland VGA-3 amp. It is possible to create a wide range of sounds which, most of the time, sound great. Saying this however, some settings give a weak sound and suck tone like it's going out of fashion! So with this in mind, a bypass system (bypassing KP2) would prove useful. I like to play a lot of Muse stuff, and as many will know, Matt also uses a KP2, so for those also trying to recreate his sounds, it's a must! Mainly because you can get them spot on everytime! Generally, most of the effects are very good, but beware of the distortion, it isn't the best!

As I previously mentioned, I'm a fan of Muse so owning the KP2 gives me the ability to replicate some of their sounds. A great reason for owning one! Also, it gives the owner the ability to create other new songs/sounds and add interesting twists to their music! Were it stolen, I would, without a doubt, purchase another one because it allows you so much freedom when it comes to making/playing music! Finally, I can say that I didn't compare it to any other products but for those interested, you could also look at the Korg KP1, KP3, Mini Kaoss Pad and Kaossilator! In my opinion, a must for all budding musicians!

The Korg Kaoss Pad, in my opinion, is a quality product all around, "Korg certainly know how to put a product together"! It is a well protected product featuring a quality metal case, sturdy buttons/knobs and screen protectors, should you choose to use them. Saying that, I don't! So with the above in mind, I'd say you can definately depend on it. I have heard of some people having problems with KP2s however I can confirm that I have had none, a happy customer! Resultantly, I would use it at a gig without a backup however, because of the nature of the product, should something go wrong with it, you'd still be able to complete the gig without having to stop, just without the ability to create those "out there sounds!"

As has been said before, in it's natural state, the Korg Kaoss Pad is fairly useless to guitarists, unless you put it on a stand of some sort, it would be impossible to use effectively during Live performances. Even if you do put it on a stand, you run the risk of knocking it over and it doesn't look very professional either. However if you, like me, decide to fit the screen from it into your guitar itself, it opens up a world of possibilities, you can make uber-cool sounds really easily just by moving your finger over the screen in the guitar! As a unit, the KP2 is fantastic, it's really easy to use (and to use well), doesn't take much to understand how to operate it and it creates such different and varied sounds! A must for the rig of any Muse fans! In conclusion, a top quality product! On it's own I'd give it a 7, but with the screen in the guitar I would and will give it a 9.

MacMan2001
    I think Matt got the idea from Radiohead's guitarist to use the KP in his guitar, as they did it first. So, not only do Muse copy Radiohead's music style, they copy their hardware Joke, i like Muse songs
    wilmearz
    "Is there a place where you can take your guitar and kaoss pad to have someone sort it all out? I can't do the fiddly wires and electronics. but i want one of those in my hamer explorer!!" Mansons guitar shop does this and sells matt bellamy sig models (it's where he gets his guitars) http://www.mansons.co.uk/