Pandora PX5D review by Korg

Korg: Pandora PX5D

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

I'm playing a Vintage mahogany Gibson Les Paul. I went through all of the 100 preset sounds, and there are maybe 15 of them I'd use right off the bat. There are another 15 or so that might come in handy. There are a bunch I wouldn't use, because they're for a style of music I don't play (like metal) or are just weird special effects stuff. Of the sounds I would use, some of them are really nice, so I'm pretty happy with that. Also, I haven't gone through all the amp modeling yet. It's pretty flexible since you can mix and match preamps and cabinets, so I'm looking forward to that. Combined with the amp modeling, there are a lot of effects here, so you're likely to find enough that you like to make this a worthwhile product for the price (not even counting the other stuff it does).

I got this for two reasons mainly: recording and practicing to improve my playing. For the latter purpose, I think this is pretty good. It comes with a number of rhythms and a few pre-programmed songs that you can jam along to using your sound/amp of choice from the effects section. You can change tempo, key, etc. in these rhythm sections. Playing along with the rhythm sections and the preset songs, I came up with a few ideas for songs and had some fun. I'm not sure how quickly this would get old, but I think it's a good way to practice. You can also just set it to metronome and adjust the tempo to practice some licks that way. As for recording, I'm just about to test it out, but I've already found several sounds that I'd like to use on recordings. With the effects and the amp modeling, I'm excited that it's going to give me a lot more flexibility in terms of the sounds I can get out of my guitar. Since it was designed with recording in mind, I think the sound should be good. I play blues, jazz and rock, and it has a few good sounds for each of these. There are two nice jazz guitar effects that I like: nice mellow sounds. I haven't started customizing my own sounds. With the level of customizability, I think that should add several more sounds to the arsenal that I would like to use. In summary, I think you get a lot for the price of this box. In my case, I got some 15+ guitar effects that I'd like to use (of the 100 it comes with), pre-amp modeling, more sounds once I customize them, and an ability to practice along with a rhythm section (you can also record from an external audio source and loop it and play along with that). There's a tuner, too. Since I wanted something that I could use for recording, occasional Live use if I had to, and practicing on my own (just plug in a set of headphones and I'm having a great time and making no noise in the house), I think this is perfect. I compared it's features and price with the Line 6 products, and so if mine got lost or stolen, I'm pretty sure I'd get this one again.

The unit is a lot smaller than I thought, so I was concerned it might get knocked over or break that way. It's encased in plastic and very light, so I'm slightly concerned it might get damaged. It doesn't look all that sturdy, but it's hard to tell, as I've just got it. I doubt seriously whether I'd use it in a gig without a backup, pretty risky. Somebody could just knock it over or step on it and that would be it. However, I don't think it's really designed for gig use primarily, so it's small size and light weight are probably bonuses if you're traveling with it for personal use.

This unit is very easy to use. The manual is clearly written, and the unit is relatively intuitive to use. I was able to use it from the start without consulting the manual, but after reading the manual I saw that it is quite customizable. In playing around with it for half an hour I've figured out a lot of what it can do. It can do a lot, though, so I'll probably read through the rest of the manual to find out how to customize it. Pretty straightforward though. The knobs and dials are easy to use and there are the right number of them.

Seasharp
    I've had one for a couple of years. I found going through the list using the unit is confusing. Once I loaded the software on my computer and used the interface sound editor it is much easier. Loading the software is not easy and Korg does not have it set up to auto load. Now I have it plugged into my computer through the USB and I use headphones so I can practice and use YouTube and Riffstation to learn all kinds of songs. The unit has so many annoying sounds but you can modify everything. I wish the unit had an overdrive. The gain doesn't do much except make it louder. So the crunch I'd like isn't there. A lot of the other things like delay Reverb and others are good. Batteries don't last long so it's better to have it plugged into your computer or a power supply.
    LP51122
    I have this one Its good for recording and practicing but the presets suck
    RedNovember
    I have the third model (It's the blue one), and have had it for about 4 years. Before that, my dad had it for about 4 years...IN JAIL. Those things can take a frickin' beating. I'd recommend it to anyone who even OWNS a guitar.
    Nessander
    Hey, I posted the first review. Since then, I've used this to record into Logic 7 and it works really well. The USB interface is great. Also, I hadn't tried out all the amp modeling and I didn't realize there are 100 spaces for user customization. You can choose an amp, cabinet, main effect, add chorus/delay/flange, noise reduction, etc. and then save it. I've created a couple really good sounds. I would agree with the comment that the presets are mainly pretty bad. I'd only use four or five of them at most. But since you can customize everything yourself, this thing is pretty cool! Neat for recording and practice. Again, not sure about live use.
    Strats My Boy
    Hi, i was thinking about buying to practice/record with. Couple of questions. Does it come with a USB ccable as the KORG site doesn't mention anything? I don't know anything about this kind of thing but i would also like to know if you can use it alongside Guitar Pro? For example, if i recorded something through the unit could i transcribe it through Guitar Pro? Could i record a bit of a song, for example the Sweet Child of Mine solo section and transpose the key? Thanks for any help.
    Seasharp
    I've had one for a couple of years. I found going through the list using the unit is confusing. Once I loaded the software on my computer and used the interface it is much easier. Loading the software is not easy and Korg does not have it set up to auto load. Now I have it plugged into my computer through the USB and I use headphones so I can practice and use YouTube and Riffstation to learn all kinds of songs.
    Nessander
    It does come with a USB cable. As for Guitar Pro, I don't know -- I've never used it. Basically, you can use the Pandora as an audio interface to record directly into your computer (with Logic, or some other DAW, or just into another app), and also to play back (and play along with) music from your computer (or another input device, like an mp3 player). I've had it for 4 months now. It is very useful for recording and practicing (and I use it as my tuner... heheh). It's great for being on the road -- if you've got a guitar along you can play/practice with headphones and even record if you've got your laptop. So I can lay tracks into Logic with just my guitar, laptop, and this. I've also used it when buying a used guitar when an amp isn't around to get a general sense of how the guitar's pickups sound. So it's been worth it for me. But I've tried going through it to an amp and it sounds horrible. I'd go with a Line 6 POD or something else if you're into that. Could be I just don't have the settings right, but I get a serious loss of tone when doing that!!
    vegemite99
    It comes with 744 rhythm and bass patterns. But, they all kinda sound the same. Its like playing along to annoying cheesy elevator music or something.
    kenable
    Question: does anyone know where the chord progressions are in this unit? I have the PX4 (blue one) and it has some cool progressions (blues, I IV V) but the blues rhythm bass line just stays on I with the PX5d...any ideas?
    ramananow
    Hi Seasharp! I was looking at buying one (interesting looking at a unit that is 5 or more years old). They are trending for over $200! I want to use it to help my practice, using like the other fellow said, youtube and riffstation. I also need a daw interface for my windows 8 audacity. Two questions: will this old unit interface with a modern computer operating system? and Two, for my needs, is there a cheaper way for me to go? I cannot find anything, which is why i am looking at something 7 years old, and almost impossible to find!