Pandora Stomp Review

manufacturer: Korg date: 04/03/2015 category: Guitar Effects
Korg: Pandora Stomp
The number of sounds from the Pandora Stomp are really vast and a lot of the them are very usable.
 Ease of Use: 5
 6.3
 7.5
 9,668
reviews (2) pictures (2) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Pandora Stomp Reviewed by: LastHorizon82, on december 24, 2014

Purchased from: Richtone Music

Ease of Use: It's easier to use than you would imagine a multifx unit with so many features crammed into the size of a stomp box would be. The firmware is free to download and all you have to do is connect the pedal to a computer and it downloads automatically. The pedal utilizes a dial with confirm and edit buttons so it's easy to get to grips with but if your going to use it live, have your sounds saved or it could take a while to find/set them under pressure. // 9

Sound: The number of sounds from the Pandora Stomp are really vast and a lot of the them are very usable. There are 158 amp and effect models produced by the "Rems" modelling technology with 200 presets and 200 slots to save your own sounds. From OD's to delays, modulation and synthy type effects. You can also set the type of cab for your base sound and up to 7 simultaneous effects. Some of the sounds produced are fantastic for modelling technology but imo don't think sound Nirvana is what you should be looking for here. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Virtually the same case as the "Korg Pitch Black tuner" so a very solid metal case. The 4 rubber buttons on the front and the plastic dial on the side could possibly need attention after a long time or a heavy whack. Also the same might be said for the plastic over the LCD display but unless you drop something heavy directly on it, it should be ok. I would use this for a live show without a back up. // 9

Overall Impression: This pedal is great for me in so many ways. First it has a tuner so that saved me £50 for a start. Second I have only ever really used chorus, reverb and delay. So this lets me try loads of sounds/effects that would have cost x amount each. Third this has 100 rhythm patterns so paired with my TC Flashback expels the need for backing on my board saving me another load of cash. It also has a usb input on the side for an mp3 player. I should also mention I have to play most of the time with headphones so instead of been sat in a spare bedroom or garage I can put it on the sofa next to me with minimum fuss. A box of tricks and perfect for headphone use. // 10

Pandora Stomp Reviewed by: Onesiphorus, on april 03, 2015

Purchased from: Sweetwater

Ease of Use: It is almost impossible to get a good sound out of it. The factory presets are noisy with lots of hiss and hum and the noise reduction function is worthless. Editing the patches to come up with custom patches is equally difficult. It claims to be intuitive but that claim from the manufacturer is meaningless hype. The truth of the matter is that it is not intuitive in the least. The owners manual which comes with it is only about 38 pages in a booklet which is about 2 inches x 3 inches in size - so it isn't very detailed or clear in its instructions.

There is downloadable software for editing patches on the Korg website - but it too is practically useless - having no instructions in how to write, copy or save edits to the stomp - either online or as a help function built into the software. And the functionality is limited. For example - one does not have the option to turn off the Amp sims - every setting requires some sort of amp sim and none of the sims provide a clean, undistorted sound.

And if one wants to change from one patch to another in a song - fugetaboutit. The button acts as an on/bypass button only. To change patches, one has to scroll through using a flimsy flywheel on the side of the unit. In the final analysis, especially if one is wanting FX without distorted or overdriven sounds, that person would be better off skipping this and spending their money on something like the Zoom MD-70CDR. // 1

Sound: The sounds this makes are very poor. It has a lot of hiss and hum which I could not eliminate no matter how much i tried. The noise reduction function is worthless. In addition, it only offers a single 1/4" mono output. Every other multi-fx pedal I've ever used has some sort of stereo output. This also makes it worthless for things like any ping-pong delay or rotary speaker FX, which mandate a stereo out capacity. In addition, all the FX sound distorted and overdriven - even if one tries to bypass those functions. // 1

Reliability & Durability: I would question the durability of the unit. The housing [except for the bottom] is metal. The bottom/chassis, however, is a very cheap grade of plastic. So if one stomps on this, I do not expect it would hold up for very long. I am surprised Korg has managed to stay in this game for so long. Nothing they build seems to be designed for durability and heavy gigging. Given the other problems I have noted with this unit - which are inherent as design and firmware/software flaws, I cannot imaging anyone preferring this over better designed units from Boss, DigiTech or Zoom. Everything seems to be designed as gear novelties. // 1

Overall Impression: I play a type of music I call psychedelic country gospel - very much influenced instrumentally by The Beatles and The Byrds. I've been playing for 45 years. This is not a good match. It favors heavily distorted sounds and it is impossible to get a good clean sound to build custom patches on. Personally, I think this is overrated and a waste of money. There are better multi-FX pedals out there which are easier to edit patches with [the Zoom MD-70CDR comes to mind immediately] and are in the same price range. If this were stolen or lost, I would not grieve over it - except that will not be my problem since it is going back to Sweetwater as soon as I can arrange for an authorization for return. // 1

Comments