Distortus Maximus review by Krank

Krank: Distortus Maximus

Purchased from: 2nd Hand

I use it with an LTD Viper 401FM with EMG 81/85. I have used this pedal with Laney, Marshall, and Peavey solid state amps as well as with Orange, Fender, and Vox tube amps (Amps are not mine, those are just the amps that are usually available in events that I play in). Unlike other modern high gain distortions, this pedal gets noisy only when I go over 7-8 on the gain so I think this pedal will be quieter with passive pickups. I usually set the gain at around 4-5 o'clock so that my notes are still clear with just the right amount of gain for chugging. The EQ on this stomp is very sensitive. I am convinced that this pedal can get sounds from early rock to modern metal. This pedal can definitely produce a wide array of distortion types mainly because of its sensitive EQ. I also use this as my main distortion when making home demos and also for studio recordings. It sounds great even when it's chained to a guitar software such as Guitar Rig and AmpliTube.

I play heavy rock music that needs clear notes when strumming and beefy distortion for chugs. I am really happy with this purchase. I have been playing gigs with my band for 8-9 years now. I have used a lot of distortions in the past. Boss dist and ODs, Metal Muff, Crunch Box, MXRs and this is the only distortion that I have kept for more than a year. I'd definitely buy one again if I lost mine. I really love this pedal's versatility. It's a good distortion for guitarists who play different styles of music. My actual plan was just to add another distortion so that I can have an option for heavier genres but after using the Krank, I ended up selling my Crunch Box. I wish it had a boost switch but nonetheless, it's still a really great pedal.

I have been using this as my main distortion for the past couple of years and I have no negative experiences about it whatsoever. The pedal is built like a tank. I don't know if this is true for all the Krank DM pedals, but the 2 knobs (Master & Gain) closest to the footswitch are somewhat harder to turn which for me is a plus because when you step on the footswitch and accidentally hit these 2 knobs, they won't turn as easy and change your tone. This makes it easier for my case since I sing and play guitars at the same time.

I always make sure that all the knobs are at noon whenever I plug any pedal for the first time and I must say, this stomp sounds great just from that setting. It has 5 knobs: 3 knobs for EQ, a master and a gain knob. I bought it used so I have no idea what comes with it in the box brand new, but all the knobs are explained on the back of the pedal. This will probably be tiresome for players who use batteries since you have to unscrew the back plate to place/change batteries. I always use a power supply so it wasn't a problem for me.