Alpha review by Lexicon

Lexicon: Alpha

The sound quality is very good according to me, although this is my first audio interphase. I don't know how it compares to more expensive ones like M Audio. I use this to make home recordings of my music and have used it with electric and Acoustic guitars (both with dynamic mics and pickups) electric bass, vocals and drum machines. I've gotten the best results with electric instruments running first through a DigiTech RP multieffects unit running in stereo into the Alpha. The result is a recording very near pro studio quality. Using the mic I can get some pretty good Acoustic recordings too, although since this box doesn't take condenser mics those have only been with dynamic ones, so the recordings aren't as loud and can't be considered pro quality. This device comes with the Cubase LE DAW program, which is really good by the way. I can't comment on its effects since I use effects from my DigiTech in the signal before it reaches the box. I tried effects in the program once I twice but found it added too much latency in the signal.

This is a really good value and all you really need to do home recordings of two instruments at a time with. The sound quality is superb and it is very user friendly. The drawbacks are the limited amount of tracks (two), the latency factor related with the USB cable (apparently ones with Firewire have less latency) and the fact that you have to disable your computer's soundcard to use the thing so that means you can't take your laptop anywhere without it and have sound. In general I say that for the money it's the best out there.

Seems reliable enough except for the fact that it is plastic and the knobs seem a little fragile. But if you take care of it, as I do with all my equipment, you shouldn't break it. It has yet to fail on me in any case and it's going on a year, so I'm not really worried. By its nature, it really isn't a road tool, although I have taken it to the beach house, the rehearsal studio and pretty much anywhere I take my laptop.

It was relatively difficult to install all the drivers needed for this and deactivate my computer's soundcard, but once I got all that done the rest is a sinch. The latency is a factor, as it uses a USB cable and not Firewire. The sound quality is very good according to me, although this is my first audio interphase. I don't know how it compares to more expensive ones like M Audio. I use this to make home recordings of my music and have used it with electric and Acoustic guitars (both with dynamic mics and pickups) electric bass, vocals and drum machines. I've gotten the best results with electric instruments running first through a DigiTech RP multieffects unit running in stereo into the Alpha. The result is a recording very near pro studio quality. Using the mic I can get some pretty good Acoustic recordings too, although since this box doesn't take condenser mics those have only been with dynamic ones.

Im_Broken
    Guynametyler wrote: I quit reading this after you wrote that you still play with a first act guitar. You should never make any judgement on any equipment based on your use of a First Act Guitar.
    you're forgetting that First Act make custom guitars for Brent and Bill.... and they sound ****in mint
    oneblackened
    These things are built like pieces of crap. A few falls off my desk and the USB out snapped off the circuitboard!