Alpha Review

7.4
 4,054
reviews (2) pictures (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Alpha Reviewed by: kcorkcar, on july 19, 2010

Ease of Use: How easy is it to get a good sound out of it? It is very easy to get a sound out of it. Just plug the Device into your computer/laptop and install the drivers that come onto the disk. Just keep in mind that you will need the ASIO4All drivers for 0 latency if you have a problem with the Alpha ASIO. How about Editing patches? No editing patches are needed. How is the manual for it (if there is one)? The manuel is pretty good. It tells you what the device does and it explains in details what the knobs/buttons/inputs/outputs do. // 9

Sound: It can be used with any guitar or bass. But you can plug in a mic/keyboard, ect in it. But I use it with my First Act guitar. Despite the guitar, the Lexicon Alpha can achieve any sound you want. Personally I use this with various amp simulators. The main problem is that you get a humming sound when you are playing. But if you have a good noise gate and noise reduction VST, then you will be fine. The effects all depend on what VST plugins you use. I mix Mk Peavey Revalver with Guitar rigs to give a very nice crisp metal tone. So if you know what you are doing, your sound can be those of the pros. But if not, you can still sound very bad. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The box so far is quite reliable. So far it has not glitched on me and the parts are shielded pretty well. No complaints on that. It has good shock resistance as well, seeing how I clumsily dropped it down a flight of stairs. xD If I had a computer and very good speakers then I would not see why I wouldn't use it for a gig. // 8

Overall Impression: I play various styles of music. Metal/classic/accoustic/sound scape. And this box helps with the quality which is always a plus. I have been playing for 1 year and 5 months I do believe. The only other piece of gear that I own is a First Act amp which is pretty much just collecting dust. All the questions about this box I asked and got reasonable answers. This box does not have phantom power but it has a reverb plugin that sounds very nice. If this product was lost or stolen then I would buy it again if I find myself to be on a low budget. It beats many other low budget recording devices. I love that I can plug in 2 other instruments like a keyboard and anything else. I hate that it does give off a humming sound if you don't use a gate vst. My favorite feature is the monitor mix. I can hear what my guitar sounds like directly from the box or I can turn the knob to play back to hear it with vst effects. Didn't really have any other gear to compare it with. I do with that it had phantom power. // 8

Alpha Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 16, 2010

Ease of Use: It was relatively difficult to install all the drivers needed for this and deactivate my computer's soundcard, but once I got all that done the rest is a sinch. The latency is a factor, as it uses a USB cable and not Firewire. The sound quality is very good according to me, although this is my first audio interphase. I don't know how it compares to more expensive ones like M Audio. I use this to make home recordings of my music and have used it with electric and Acoustic guitars (both with dynamic mics and pickups) electric bass, vocals and drum machines. I've gotten the best results with electric instruments running first through a DigiTech RP multieffects unit running in stereo into the Alpha. The result is a recording very near pro studio quality. Using the mic I can get some pretty good Acoustic recordings too, although since this box doesn't take condenser mics those have only been with dynamic ones. // 7

Sound: The sound quality is very good according to me, although this is my first audio interphase. I don't know how it compares to more expensive ones like M Audio. I use this to make home recordings of my music and have used it with electric and Acoustic guitars (both with dynamic mics and pickups) electric bass, vocals and drum machines. I've gotten the best results with electric instruments running first through a DigiTech RP multieffects unit running in stereo into the Alpha. The result is a recording very near pro studio quality. Using the mic I can get some pretty good Acoustic recordings too, although since this box doesn't take condenser mics those have only been with dynamic ones, so the recordings aren't as loud and can't be considered pro quality. This device comes with the Cubase LE DAW program, which is really good by the way. I can't comment on its effects since I use effects from my DigiTech in the signal before it reaches the box. I tried effects in the program once I twice but found it added too much latency in the signal. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Seems reliable enough except for the fact that it is plastic and the knobs seem a little fragile. But if you take care of it, as I do with all my equipment, you shouldn't break it. It has yet to fail on me in any case and it's going on a year, so I'm not really worried. By its nature, it really isn't a road tool, although I have taken it to the beach house, the rehearsal studio and pretty much anywhere I take my laptop. // 7

Overall Impression: This is a really good value and all you really need to do home recordings of two instruments at a time with. The sound quality is superb and it is very user friendly. The drawbacks are the limited amount of tracks (two), the latency factor related with the USB cable (apparently ones with Firewire have less latency) and the fact that you have to disable your computer's soundcard to use the thing so that means you can't take your laptop anywhere without it and have sound. In general I say that for the money it's the best out there. // 8

Comments