DL4 Delay Modeler review by Line 6

Line 6: DL4 Delay Modeler

I play this pedal with a Schecter guitar going into various Fender amps, along with a Tube Screamer, Boss Phase Shifter, and Vox Wah, and the sound is always great. In fact, the sound is just plain excellent. The infinite number of noises and sounds you can get out of this pedal is awesome, and it's not noisy at all. Playing with knobs allow you to get all manner of crazy noises as well as complex melodies, and in combination with the ability to record and loop these sounds, you hardly need a band behind you: just drum on your strings and loop it. This is hands down the best pedal I've ever played with, if only for it's capacity for being creative. I connect both a guitar and vocal mic to this pedal and can create whole changing, shifting soundscapes for hours and hours on end.

This pedal is great for anyone of any playing style or ability. It'll make an amateur sound professional, and a professional sound godlike. You can use it to practice by looping chord changes or drumbeats and soloing over them, or use it to gig, to create moods, it'll do anything your creative mind can dream up. I've been playing guitar for 5 or 6 years, and I can play any sort of music solo into this pedal for hours and hours on end. Any other pedals or gadgets you have will only boost your number of musical possibilities. Not only would it be good for guitar players, but for vocalists. I routinely have beatboxing jams into it, laying down guitar lines over the top. All in all, it's a pedal for those who want to be create with their instrument. It encourages creativity like no other pedal I've played, and is a great buy for anyone. The Holy Grail of delay pedals.

Totally dependable, I've had it for about a year and it's never had any problems. I would definitely, and have, gigged with it. Just set all the delay effects you want beforehand, and you're set. Easily reprogrammable on stage between songs as well. I've heard that the foot switches become loose over time, but I haven't had any problems with that, or with anything else.

This pedal is very easy to use and very versatile as far as getting the delay sound you want. You can customize the sound of each delay model preset on the pedal, as well as save your favorite 4 delay sounds into the foot buttons on the pedal. The coolest part is that it also has a 16-second Looper with the option of Normal, Reverse, or 1/2 Speed playback and recording, with the ability to use all three modes at once, and with ease. The pedal is well laid out, so you don't risk hitting two buttons at once or have to deal with tiny knobs. The manual shows you what each of the knobs do for each effect, and all in all, it is very easy to get great, great sounds out of this pedal. It also has stereo inputs and outputs (meaning one jack for the Left/Mono channel, and one for Right channel) which are great for recording or other creative uses. It's only problem is the large size it takes up on the pedal board.

customisbetter
    thomas erak of the Fall Of Troy uses this pedal for almost every song. hes a guitar god btw, up there with tom morello and matt bellamy.
    guy_tebache
    DancingDays : matt belamey isnt a guitar god, steady on
    tmv91 : tom morello isnt either
    Ollie John Hace
    how is this about a DL4 atall? and for the record all of them are very good guitarists, but all of them would be nothing without their bands
    guy_tebache
    Zooeyglass : please tell me u r joking, forums>sb>type'overated guitarists'>click>read> its not jsut me that thinks froosh sucks balls I know...he's just ok, nothing great...not like Johnny Greenwood
    Ahh... a radiohead fan. Greenwood is also very good. But you cant really compare him to many other guitarists, certainly not froosh or bellamy, or clapton etc. Not because of how good they are, but because of the way greenwood plays. Its completely different.
    Zooeyglass
    guy_tebache
    johnsmith175 wrote: please tell me u r joking, forums>sb>type'overated guitarists'>click>read> its not jsut me that thinks froosh sucks balls
    Hey man Its a free world for the most part. You can think whatever you like about most things. Its not my job to tell you you're an idiot.
    johnsmith175
    guy_tebache wrote: DancingDays : matt belamey isnt a guitar god, steady on tmv91 : tom morello isnt either Ace Frehley : Tom Morello has created his own technics.That's why he can be called a guitar god. Both of them are very good- and more importantly inovative guitarists... But in my opinion neither of them even compare to John Frusciante
    Weybl Himself
    The newer DL4s are more consistantly reliable than the original ones from 200-2003ish. Like any product, there are some average ones floating around but I'm yet to meet a guitarist who uses one of these who has had anything but good times. All of those guys however got theirs in the past 4 years, so it's probably best to avoid older, second hand ones. And to spooneylove90, the DL4 does have the auto-volume swell. But so does the Echo Park (the DL4's little brother) so that's worth a look if you're strapped for cash.
    Ibzman
    I considered buying one but the whole electronics thing is quite horrible.. isn'T it possible to shield the electronics to prevent this ?
    derekrck
    i keep hearing that these things break all the time, but i wanted to try one out because i saw thomas erak, minus the bear, and claudio use them, but when i went to guitar center to try one out it was broken! i got a boss dd20 instead and it works great, but i am trying to get effects like thomas erak who uses the dl4 in combination with the fm4 which is common, so should i purchase the fm-4 and just use it along with my gg20???
    xinal
    i've had to have mine repaired twice because of the footswitch destroying the electronics under it.
    rhcp_freak
    Would it be better to buy this or a DMM? I'm attracted by the fact that the DMM has chorus and vibrato too.