DM4 Distortion Modeler review by Line 6

Line 6: DM4 Distortion Modeler

Purchased from: Music Go Round

The DM4 is extremely easy to use! Hit one of the switches, choose a model, tweak the knobs until it sounds good to you, hold down the footswitch for 3 seconds (the light will flash)and your done. Pretty easy to edit. The manual tells you about the editing in more depth and it can also tell you how to turn the noise gate on and off. This pedal might not work for everyone, but it definitely should be considered for people who want a lot of tones for not a lot of money. I really wish that Line 6 never would have discontinued these! They could have come out with an expanded version or something.

This can cover a lot of different styles! Anything from blues to metal distortion is possible with this. I play punk, rock, alternative, industrial, and a little metal, and the DM4 helps me get a lot of the tones I need. I use the DM4 with a Vox amp and it works great! The DM4 can be noisy on extreme gain settings, but it has a built-in noise gate to tame the hiss. This can nail almost all the pedals it models, but with more flexibility than a lot of the real pedals. Like a Fuzz Face with 3 band eq, a Tubescreamer with bass and treble control. As I said, flexible.

This thing is built like a 57 Chevy, tough! It can definitely take a beating in the studio and on stage! I would definitely use this without a backup. The only bad thing I've heard about is that the switches break after a while. But I haven't had any problems with that (knock on wood). The plastic nuts around the input and output have a tendency to break. It's not a huge deal but people should maybe try to find some metal nuts for it. Other than that it's a pretty indestructible little unit for the price I paid for it! Considering that fact It cost $250 new.

This suits my style very much. I've been playing for 10 years. I run my Epiphone SG through a Boss TU3 > DM4 > EHX Neo Clone > DL4 > Vox ADTV 30. It sounds good! If this were lost or stolen I'd be pissed because they are discontinued. I really like the tube drive model! Very amp like! I also really like the Octave Fuzz setting! It works great for industrial rock! I don't like the jet phase model. Completely useless! I own the DL4 and I love that pedal, so I took a chance and bought this one. I will say that I am extremely happy with the DM4. It's replaced most of my od's and distortions other than my Boss DS-1 & my MXR Classic 108 Fuzz.