Floor POD review by Line 6

Line 6: Floor POD

Purchased from: Kendall Guitars

I am using a 1987 Gibson Les Paul Custom (The White one). I was initially using a Fender Champion 30 DSP, but it really wasn't powerful enough and I was forced to throttle back the Floor PODs potential. So I have bought a Line 6 Spider II 212 (150 WATT)and found a whole new world! My Les Paul is a monster and likes to feed back, but the Compressor on the Floor POD is able to keep it under control with sacrificing tone on the rock and metal sounds. The noisegate works well to clean up some of the fuzz, so that you don't lose definition. I like to achieve my own signature sound and style for the most part, but I have managed to emulate a few sounds for some of the songs we do. Distortion, a classic crunch or brit pop sound plus a clean sound is really all I use and the Floor POD has hit all the nails on the head. Reading some other reviews, where some people haven't been totally satisfied with sounds and tone, I would say that the Floor POD isn't the problem, it could be something else in your chain. Some copy guitars are better than others, so the guitar tone and Drive may let you down a bit, but more important I would say is the amplification. If your amp is under powered, you will never get the quality of sound that you are looking for.

We play classic Rock, Indie Rock, Punk and a few others. The combination of gear I have now gives me a guitar sound that I have been looking for, for a long time. I have been a musician Pro and semi-pro for 18 years now. In my opinion the age of valve amplification is dead. Line 6 really has something now with their amp emulation technology. The combination of the Floor POD and the Spider II means that I can reproduce almost any of the signature sounds from the last 40 years. I would highly recommend any of the Line 6 range.

I haven't had it long enough to comment yet, but I am gigging with it now. My Line 6 Spider II Amp has similar effects unit built in so I have a backup too. The general construction seems pretty robust. I had a Behringer XVamp that fell apart when I stomped on it, which wasn't good for a foot pedal.

After an hour of fiddling with it, I had created about 4 sounds that I was happy with. I am still using those initial ones though I have tweaked a little since. The Floor POD is really easy to use and editing patches is simple. The manul points you in the right direction and says all it needs to.

SylKain
    marcr92 wrote: can you hook this up to the computer to record?
    Not through USB, you will need to go in it like with the old POD 2.0 using the line in of your pc or even better an audio interface
    BlisteringDDj
    l)ragonForce wrote: Line 6 has pretty good effects right?
    The effects are the best for the price! If you buy the PODxt Live for example, you get tons of different effects. They live up to standards, but of course, buying the effects seperately is much better. I'm surprised how good this "PODs" are though!