Floor POD Plus review by Line 6

Line 6: Floor POD Plus

Purchased from: musiciansfriend

When I used it (in 2007) I only used that pedal and ran out of the left output into a PA set. I was playing an ESP LTD M-50. It's a little noisy and on high gain settings you have to really clamp down on the included noise gate to stop it and it stomps on your tone. The modulation effects are nice, there's some really cool effects like comet trails, tron, ring modulation, and the normal chorus, phaser, flanger. There's alot of amp models and cabinet models on there and it's a good reference for what kind of amp you'll want to buy later but I found the gain lacking even with the gain boost. The tone knobs don't do a whole lot, they're pretty ineffectual. The expression pedal is great for volume control but the wah is weak and you can't assign the pedal to effects values. I was able to get a great sound with the tron modulation setting, it sounded alot like Satriani's tone in One Big Rush.

I was playing alot of Satriani at the time and it was decent. I've been playing for 17 years and I use a Hughes & Kettner Switchblade and a Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe. I wish I had played this pedal before I bought it, if it were stolen I wouldn't replace it. I love the cool mod effects but I hate the tuner, you have to be standing right over the top of the pedal to see the lights. My favorite feature was the delay. I could get some cool sounds with it. I compared it to alot of the DigiTech pedals and after using some of those, I probably should have bought one of them instead. I wish it had more gain and I wish the expression pedal could be assigned to manipulate effects values.

It's a sturdy pedal. The only thing I had a problem with was the expression pedal Switch. After about a year, I had to press down on it so hard to engage it I thought I was going to break it. Other than that it's a sturdy pedal. I would use it on a gig without a backup. The bank buttons are nice and spaced out, you have plenty of room to step on them without hitting other pedals and they're very sturdy and responsive.

It's not the hardest pedal to tweak but it's not the easiest either. You'll be reading the manual that's for sure, there are a ton of sounds on this pedal so it'll take some time to figure out how to get your sound out of it. Some of the setting require you to hold down knbos while you turn others and it doesn't leave your hands free to do anything else so that kind of turned me off. I never patched it but there's downloads available, the manual is pretty good. It's not confusing at all.

J@MI3
    For a beginner, is the Floor Pod Plus a good multi-fx pedal. Been playing for about a year now and i've never bought a pedal of any sort but i have used a friends digitec pedal, what would everyone recommend
    Stone Agean
    hobozach
    I use this with my spider, and it sounds pretty good. instead of using the cab models I just turn the cab model off, and it couldn't sound better. If you use this pedal right it will not disappoint! Also tried with a friend's peavey, and fender, all sounded flawless, just needed some tweaking. Don't listen to the presets, and make your own tones and I guarantee you won't be disappointed.
    Zakman209
    can you plug the pedal straight to a guitar cabinet or does it not provide enough power to do so?
    XoXunholyXoX
    Hobozach is right. You can use your fpp with a spider amp. Let's say you love the insane sound of your spider, just choose the amp model insane and turn off the cab, you will have the same exact sound from your fpp. So dont hesitate to buy it even if you own a spider as amp! Jul
    mandozink
    Before I bought my Floor Pod Plus I read all of the comments I could - and I figured out the sound problem. The FPP outputs a sound that is already complete. It needs to be routed through a CLEAN amp (solid-state without overdrive) to sound really good. I get my best and most devastating wonderful sounds out of an old, extremely high fidelity Yamaha stereo amp. I also get great sound through my Marshall, Peavey, and Crate amps - all solid-state. I also have a 15w SpiderIII amp which I have not plugged the FPP into. When I do try the Spider, I am going to input it into the CD input, which will not re-condition the "already finished" FPP output. Also, if you plug your guitar into someone else's favorite amp, you WILL tweak the knobs to suit your own guitar. That is exactly what you have to do with the Floor Pod Plus also. Consider it someone elses "guitar" amp until you tweak it for your guitar. I actually use it for my 4-string electric Mandoblaster and it is awesome.
    mkhiary
    i use it on the clean channel of my Randall KH-75 and it sound amazing, u just have to make your own tones, it's much better that the presets. i think it will sound great only if you plug it through the CLEAN channel
    heavymetal1502
    You guys are all connecting the pedal to the amp wrong. Connect it either into a CD imput or into the effects return using only the power of the amp and not its pre amp. If you connect it directly into the amp you are stacking 2 pre amps which will cause your amp to have a very bad feedback problem. You can still do this but you need to make one of the pre amps flat (turning gain and bass down and mid full). I couldnt figure it out and was very dissapointed when I was having these problems but if you connect it either to a CD imput or effects return it will sound great.
    Billy_Joel
    Anybody know how these sound with all tube amps? I have a Marshall dsl 401, I like the 'idea' of the amp modelling, particularly '85 MesaBoogie. After reading the entire thread I feel Im still none the wiser! It starts negative and ends (so far) quite positive. To be honest I'm new to the effects thing so please forgive my ingnorence lol : was also looking at a VOX Tonelab ST. Any views, thoughts, opinions?? \\m//
    hobozach
    I'm going to reiterate >.>. When using the Floor Pod Plus through an amp, either hold down the "manual" button by the LED display, and turn the cab modeling off, or hold down the knob itself whilst doing so. Either way, if you have the cab modeling on through an amp, you will have that dry digital crappy tone everyone keeps ragging on. Turn OFF the cab modeling, but definetely still use the amp modeling. It will sound like your using stompboxes, but REALLY effing good stompboxes. Don't use it for direct recording or through a PA system...period. From my experience, playing it through an amp,(once again, i am reiterating for clarity) with the switch on the back turned to "amp", the output knob on the back at 11-12 o clock, and the CAB modeling off, this makes every amp I have ever played through sound amazing. I used a Spider III 30 watt, and it made me rethink my position on the amp, as bad as it is, and I'm currently using it through a Fender Frontman 65R, and once again, it doesn't dissapoint. The Fender sounds good on clean by itself(its a Fender. With Clean. What more do you want as far as clean tones go?), joined with this underrated pedal, sounds...so good. Played at a gig recently with the fender and the FPP, and I got so many compliments on my tone, and even more "Woah"'s when I told them what I was running. Play with the settings, and make sure you do what I said, i can guarantee you will not be dissapointed. Note: when running through an amp, boost the amp's EQ to your liking. The tone will sound good by itself, but to get a better feel to it, I boost my Bass up to 5. My Treble I have at most 3, but thats me. Make sure not to turn the gain or the treble too much, or you will get that raspy, wretchy fake digital sound to it. Play with it, AND TURN OFF THE CAB MODELING!!!!!
    hobozach
    Stone Agean wrote: I just want to clarify, does this sound decent through a good tube amp bypassing the amp modeling and only using the effects present? And do the effects sound too digital? I am mainly after some far out delay and reverb effects that analogue stomp-boxes dont give me...apparently the Line 6 flanger isnt bad either?
    It colors your tone a little bit, but, not enough to matter a whole lot. So to answer your questions, yes, no and yes. The FX, if tweaked enough will be decent enough for what it sounds like what your looking for. But your better off buying Line 6's stompboxes for that stuff, rather than getting this whole package. Or, some other stompboxes that you maybe haven't tried yet. The FPP is good for those who can't really afford a lot of stompboxes and decent tube amps, so using it for the Multi FX aspect alone wouldn't be wise, just because of the tone coloring part. Try it out, but, just be weary of other options =/. If it helps any I know of a lot of Pros that use Line 6 Stompboxes, like their flanger and delay stomps(I forget the model names). Look on GC =/
    RAGman22ReborN
    Once I hooked this baby up to my Tremonti Power Wah, my Raven RG100 amp and my PRS SE Custom, I was set. I LOVE the stuff it gives me. FINALLY, I don't need so many pedals other than this.