JM4 Looper review by Line 6

Line 6: JM4 Looper

Price paid: £ 229.99

Purchased from: Guitar Works (Reading)

I'm using a LTD MH-250 with Seymour Duncans in it and a Marshall amp. Though I orignally heard the pedal ran through some speakers instead of amp and it sounded awesome. I've played it through a big amp in the shop and it sounded face-rippingly-good. At first I was worried it was dodgy because it had a humming in the background but I then realised the volume for the XLR input was up, when turned down, it shut up. The presets are awesome, I've tried Enter Sandman to the recording (clean and metal) and blended right in. Breaking the Law sounded awesome. There's also presets for songs like Bark at the Moon (rhythm and solo), Nothing Else Matters, Cowboys from Hell, Master of Puppets, Crazy Train, No More Tears, Hotel California, Cliffs of Dover, Sultans of Swing. There's loads, I've just mentioned some of the ones I know quite well! I was originally put off by Line 6 having invested in a POD Version 1.0, the cheap 100 one. Trying to use it to record I could never get a decent tone out of it. I thought all the digital sounds were gonna be really bad but this changed my mind completely. It's just awesome.

As you may have guessed I'm a big fan of metal. Not to say I'm not into anything else but I like Metal. It works brilliantly for it and everything else! I've been playing for around 6 years now but didn't have a loop pedal or anything. I was using Cubase but this is so much quicker and it's so easy to find a decent tone. I'd recommend it over a POD. If it was stolen, at the minute, I'd get another, but I got mine 6 hours ago so I'd have to save up a bit again. I love the fact it's everything in one, for a fair price. Though I do dislike the design. Somethings you can just kick a button and it'll be fine, others you suddenly have to lean down and start pushing things and tuning knobs. I did discover you can change what the kick buttons do though which is very helpful! So you can assign it to change your tone or record or stop or undo etc. I'm just lazy. The only other problem I'm having, is I keep having to play with the volume on everything. It seems fine for a while then I'll change a setting and suddenly it's really loud but I'm guessing that's just me.

I think this unit is great for practicing at home. Main features being: - At least 50 backing tracks (I think it said more around 100 on the box but I can't remember and I'm not moving to get it! ) - 100+ preset tones. - Twenty Minutes worth of recording time with dubbing possible aswell.- - Lots of Drum Tracks (Metronome aswell) - Chromatic Tuner. - Lots of Amp Simulators. - Enough effects to keep you going "Ooooooh" - XLR input incase you wanna mic something (vocals, accoustic guitar etc) - Audio Input - Stereo Out - And a really cheesey demo track for you to hear with some guy talking about the unit. I've been told that the unit is basically just a Line 6 Spider without the speaker and with more effects. My advice is, if you were thinking about getting a POD. I'd get this instead 'cause it's got so much more however, I haven't tried some of the higher model pods. Only the entry level one. I wouldn't gig it however, chances are I'd try and changing tone and just accidently hit the "play" button and get some country backing start playing. I've got other pedals for Live stuff but this is going to be invaluable for my improvisation and studying!

I've had it around 6 hours now and I haven't yet even bothered trying to make a tone: It's already got over a hundred built in. There's sections called 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s which has versions of different songs from them periods, for instance Crazy Train is in the 80's, Cowboys from Hell in the 90s etc etc. They've also got sections based on bands that made their own tones for Line 6. Killswitch Engage and As I Lay Dying being some examples. It's not just good for Metal though, awesome blues tones and funk tones. If you're not happy with the presets you can edit them and save them in your section. Manual is easy to follow. Took me about four hours to get used to because you can change effects, put on a drum loops, song loops, record, overdub and what not. I think I'm finally there!

Tokki Wartooth
    I've got it, and i've been in love with it since the beginning. Great for home practice, makes it a lot more interesting with all those effects, backing tracks, recording features etc. OK for band practice, though i think that if you play too loud it could sound too "digital" Dunno for live playing, but i'm guessing no. I'll test it quite soon though, and will report back