M13 Stompbox Modeler review by Line 6

Line 6: M13 Stompbox Modeler

Purchased from: craigslist

I use a small thirty watt solid state amp and a Fender Strat knock off, and I half to admit, it sounds incredible! The distortions can crush, crunch, and grind. Some people complain they sound "weak" or "thin", perhaps even too "digital", but me and all my friends agree that they sound kick ass! The reverbs are rich and creamy, others sound like footsteps. The filters allow some head spinning synth style effects, total customization here. Great mod effects, the phasers are excellent! A few Cons soundwise, however, include the sub-octave, the Wah Wah styled filters, and the plate reverb. The suboctave will start to sound very digital when playing deep, deep notes, the Wah wahs just don't have "the sound", and the plate reverb is very, very thin. However, considering this has all the effects I could need, perhaps lacking a wah, it still gets a nine. I play music in many styles, some of my favorite artists include Mogwai, Joe Satriani, Buckethead, Yngwie Malmsteen, Greenday, D.C.F.C, Metallica, so on so forth. With The addition of a wah, I will be able to get every sound from these artists.

I've been playing for three years now. I play everything from shred to post rock, and this bad boy handles it all. If it were stolen, I would most likely be dead, because someone would have to pry it from my cold, dead hands. My absolute favorite feature is the distortions, with the delays a hair behind. The ONLY thing I hate about this is the suboctave, but I never use it anyway, so I am still happy with it! I reserve the right to give it all nines, because only something perfect gets a ten.

This thing is built like a tank. A tank. There is only one weak part, and that is the screens. Don't get me wrong here, it's not because of cheap construction, it's because screens are screens. I wouldn't throw it around, but mostly because throwing something so heavy and sturdy is hard!

I picked this one up used for a much lower price, it has none of the software updates. In less than five minutes, without reading the manual, I had it pretty well down. From what I've read, the software adds a nice touch, but I can produce all the tones I need. However, you need to be careful when experimenting with effects, some will interact strangely until the settings are tinkered with.