Pocket POD review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Line 6: Pocket POD

Purchased from: Amazon.com

Tested it through an AKG K55 headphones and a dB technologies powered speaker (FRFR). I noticed that the levels (through the headphones) were too low and the patches were sounding weak. So I turned it up full (doesnt't seem to have enough headroom there. Unless you are connecting it to an amp you are going to max the volume knob way to fast and still be left wanting more) and the POD came to life! Full marks here to Line6 here. A good amp changes it's character as you turn it up, getting more growl and more bite and also better dynamics. The moment I maxed the volume I was immersed in a smorgasboard of tones. Some very good distortions there which sound better when coupled with the built in modulations. haven't explored the clean tones much (like I told you. There are 300 of them patches to listen and understand) but at first glance it sounds that it is amp modeling the POD will excel at (which is the exact reason I bought this thing. I am planning to loop it with my GT8 since amp sims on that are not that good). Tweaking isnt very extensive unless you plug it in to a comp and access the hidden features via the software (Vyzex). That really multiplies the Pocket POD by a factor of 10. Upto 4/5 parameters per effect and each one is extremely responsive. Minus the software you may get disappointed with the POD and be tempted to return it. My advice: don't! If you compare it with other modellers in the price range (like the Zoom, DigiTech RP series), I think it just blows them away. I have already come up with some neat sounding riffs and bars which might end up in some self-compositions. And all this without needing to get out of the bed!

Full marks to the tone. Respect it's capability as a practise tool and you wont be disappointed. Though judging it's quality of sound I am sure that it will fit in well in a gig as well. Quality of construction and manual/support information seems to be a bit lacking but guess I can Live with it. My guess is that Line6 focused on getting the product out first and will be adding support on an ongoing basis. But as of now. I think that the pocket POD totally does justice to it's price and the legendary POD tones.

The build quality is a little disappointing as are the knobs and the 4-way switch. They shift around in their place and feel cheap. Dunno how long they will last. Also the color being shown around everywhere on the net is different from the real thing, and that comes as another surprise. The body is not the rich red color that you see here but is, instead, a cheap plastic maroonish-red. So first impressions definitely aren't good. Battery consumption is very fast and I exhausted the supplied batteries in about 3-4 hours. So if you are planning to take it for a long Drive keep some extra catridges handy. I think I'll be using a power adaptor which the manual specifies as the Line 6 DC-1. A quick search on musiciansfriend.com revealed the power ratings of the adapter (which to my surpruse is totally missing in all the manuals that Line 6 provides, whether offline or online).

Line 6 assumed that every user will have access to the internet and a printer, so the real manual with the all details is not included (and neither is a power adapter, which as I realised is a necessity with this battery hungry beast). What we find inside is a small booklet which just skims over the surface while explaining features. There is no list of the patches included so you are left to browse through them one by one! How silly is that Line 6? There are 300 patches for chrissake and they aren't even all under the same category. You are navigating left and right and down and up and it's such a mess after some time to remember where which one was. Why couldn't they just include a small sheet with a tree like view to know the layout of patches? Well, the detailed manual I found on the net but the list of patches (with the effect settings) is still a mystery. So guess, on user friendliness for a new user, the POD is a big thumbs down! I wonder how many users will actually return this thing because of poor navigation. Huge loss for Line6 there!

x Misanthropy x
    Hmm i wouldnt buy this, i would definataly save up for a better pod version, but this would come in handy for those on a budget.
    LeZeNkO
    People usually say dont judge a book by its cover but with this im not too sure, I suppose for practice yeah maybe, as for live, perhaps... recording, not at all. Id get the new pod X3 imo.
    metal jello
    I love this thing, the only bad thing about it, is if you use a bunch of noise suppresser on the high-gain amp models, it ruins your sustain. Ruins it.
    Mistaa Man
    I'd buy a DigiTech GNX pedal. They are amazing. I used to have a GNx1 but I sold it so I could get a guitar, and I sold a bass for an amp. Lol
    Demonikk
    I might just save a bit more and get the old 2.0, it's only about 20 more and much better
    dilbert_5150
    Pocket POD is packed with over 300 custom presets dialed in by some of today's hottest rock stars like Maroon 5, P.O.D., 311, Hoobastank and many more.
    shit... convincing isn't it? well... it's sad :|
    Weepin_Guitar
    I have the pod xt live already, though I'm thinking to buy this, as a usefull item in my guitarbag
    Kayfan
    It's excellent for what it is, compare this to a plain-jane pocket amp, or any other mini-multi effect.
    SeanHart213
    the X3 is a much better purchase if you're looking to record. it provides awesome vocal tools, bass tools, and you can drive 2 amps at once to get an extremely full sound on recordings. this is good if you're lazy like me and don't feel like tracking your guitar 4 times to get a full stereo sound.
    roarinflames
    this is a really bad review! this guy has no patience for modeling processors, which by their nature, take hours to figure out. this one actually seemed simple when i used it. i'm going to buy one.
    Fender_Fever
    i have one of these. i think it is a good fx pod for a person new to guitar fx (like me). Unfortunately my ampout jack doesnt send the guitar signal, resulting in no sound. my amp works fine with out the pocket pod attached. I guess im gona have to return mine now.
    kitfoo
    I bought one of these for deployments to save on weight and I couldn't be happier with it! The reviewer must have crappy headphones, because I use my Sony studio headphones, and I have to turn the volume on the Pod all the way down because it's THAT LOUD! I'm still discovering new sounds on it, and the quality is excellent. I think if the price were around $50, it would be perfect!