Pocket POD review by Line 6

Line 6: Pocket POD

Price paid: £ 84.99

Purchased from: The drum and guitar center

I am using this with some affordable bits of gear. A Vox VT30 and an Epiphone Les Paul Special II. Some effects can be good when playing but a sharp squealing noise builds up and up. I think everyone finds there favorite tones out of anything and I've certainly found mine which are brilliant. There are tones for different songs and bands such as Sweet Child of mine, Welcome to the jungle, Walk this way, Back in black, Black magic woman and many more. All the effects seem quite good, though not as good as a pedal or stomp box dedicated to them. But the Pocket POD was made for tones and the effects add a lot to the tones which sound fantastically good.

I've been playing for about 2 years now and this is the first sort of "Tone machine" (I couldn't think of any other word to describe it.) And I find it brilliant. I play all sorts of music as I like all genres really and this caters for basically all of them. I think if it were stolen I would consider buying another one or I might move on and get something with a bit more oomph that costs a bit more money, as I bought this to be a cheap-ish starter in the tone-creating/recording world and it does what I was hoping for it to do. I wish it had a few more effects. It really is made and used for the tones that it's able to create and because of that and the relatively cheap price, I give this a 9.

I've only had it for about 3 days so I'm not sure on it's durability but I do know the battery life on it isn't great. It needs 4 AAA batteries and lasts for about 5 hours so I do recommend buying a power supply but make sure to get the right one! There has been quite a lot of confusion in the past on why some Power supplies which have 9v work and don't work for this. It's because this needs a negative something or other and not a positive one but overall, you'll be safe buying the Line 6 9v power supply as that definitely works. I wouldn't use one for gigging unless you only need 1 tone as there is no pedal control so you have to use the directional pad to change tones and unless you set the tones up on Vyzex to be one after another then it could take minutes. The casing and knobs are made of plastic and appear to be quite stable as long as you don't throw them out of any windows.

The Pocket POD is a brilliant little tool, it can easily create some nice tones as it has apparently 300+ tones and I'll get more into those later on. The selection of tones is made really easy with the directional pad and changing them is quite easy using the knobs. The manual is quite good, if a little basic, and gets you up and ready to make and use the tones quickly. It is in English, French, German and I think it the last one is spanish. It has a clip on the back to attach to a belt or guitar strap but I wouldn't really recommend it as it's quite hard to use at an angle. In order to create and edit the premade tones you can download a program called "Vyzex Pocket Pod" Which is very valuable to use as it means you can edit the tones with more Precision and it's easier. This is great for a free program. To connect the Pocket POD to the program all you need to use is a USB lead which comes with the pocket pod. The good thing is that by changing it on the computer it automatically changes it on the pod. So you can be playing, and say you've found a good tone but you want some more reverb, you can plug it into Vyzex, add reverb and continue playing. On the top of the Pocket POD are a CD/MP3 input, an Amp output, a Direct output or headphone jack, a 9 volt power supply jack (which I would recommend using) and a Guitar lead input.