POD 2.0 Amp Modeler Review

manufacturer: Line 6 date: 01/21/2010 category: Guitar Effects
Line 6: POD 2.0 Amp Modeler
A new standard in direct guitar recording, POD is the ultimate guitar direct recording/performance tool with acclaimed Line 6 modeling and built-in stereo effects.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Ease of Use: 9.2
 8.3
 9.3
 7.2
 18,779
reviews (6) 21 comments vote for this gear:
POD 2.0 Amp Modeler Reviewed by: madefortvmovie, on september 22, 2005

Ease of Use: The POD is a wonderfully engineered piece of technology. Even though the 2.0 features 36 presets, choosing them is very simply. All you have to do is simply dial in the number of the preset you want, by using up and down buttons. Saving your own settings is a breeze as well! You simply have to push the "save" button, tricky huh? While I love the versatility of my POD, if you are using it live as a multi-effect tool, it is horrible switching. Without any pedals, everything is manual, and unless you enjoy songs with periods of no sound while youre switching, the standard POD set up is not for you. However, I do suggest you do as I did, and buy one of the optional controllers. You either have to buy the 4 button foot controller (the FB4) or the floordboard which also includes a volume pedal and a wah pedal. I bought the FB4 and use my own wah and other pedals. Other than this, it is very easy to use! // 7

Sound: The versatile and distinct sounds of this unit was why I bought it! With 16 amp models, 16 effects, TAP button, and several cab modelers, you can't find a better buy for this kind of money! I play through a Line 6 Spider 112, and when matched with the Line 6 POD, the sound quality just soars! Helpfully, in the user manuel, Line 6 supplies the reader with wonderful, detailed examples of how to set up your POD and amp to make them coincide just the way you want. The amp models are great, and I could not be happier with them, especially for this kind of money. The effects are good, but are do not have much of a range. The POD either produces weak effects or overly strong/loud effects, and its hard to find good settings for a midrange. I'm quite partial to the delay and swell settings. They have always been dependeable and give me a great sound. The chorus seems to artificial and doesnt quite cut it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The POD can sure take a beating! I have gigged with it several times, recorded with it, jammed with it, and carry it with me wherever I go if I'm going to play, and I have never had a single problem with it! It has a nice adapter that does not take up more than one slot on a power strip/outlet. This may seem like a worhtless feature, but since my powerstrip is packed with other adapters for pedals, I really like how small the POD's is. I personally have no problem with using this on a gig without a backup. Never in my two years of owning this have I had trouble, and I have already performed succesful gigs without any problems with my POD. // 10

Overall Impression: In the simplest of terms, I love my POD. It has never given me trouble, and I can not imagine playing without it. To me, it has become a steadfast companion to the rest of my rig, and I would not hesistate to get a new one if it was ever stolen or broken. I have been playin roughly 5.5 years, and this is by far my favorite piece of equipment. As I continue to advance and change styles, I find that I can still rely on my POD and always tweak it to where it suits my style. The only problem I have with playing it is that I can't always use it effectively with acoustic guitar. The chorus does help to create a nice sound, as do the bypass and preamp settings, but I would not recommend this to a solely acoustic player. The only other complaint I have is the lack of quick changing. I wish that it was in the form of a mutli-effects pedal (such as the Boss ME-50 or one of the DigiTech GNX series), but to compensate for that I just bought the $50 controller. If you feel that strongly about having the POD in a pedal form, I'd suggest you check out the POD Live. Overall, the POD is an excellent tool. I'd recommend it to both beginners and veterans as either a strong recording component or as a wonderful live tool. // 9

POD 2.0 Amp Modeler Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 08, 2005

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Ease of Use: The POD is very easy to use. All you have to do is choose a sound from one of the 36 banks choose an amp model and effect and you're ready to rock! One of the great things about it is you can save a sound you like so you don't have to search for it the next time. One bad thing about it is it doesn't come with a pedal so you can't change effects in the middle of a song (you can buy a pedal for it). It is very easy to use. // 10

Sound: The POD has great sound. You can choose from 36 banks of sounds, 16 amp models, and 16 effects. All the sounds always sound great but you can't overdo on them or it distorts the guitar too much. Probably the effect that has the best sound is delay/flanger, I use it the most. Another effect that is great for the song "Dazed And Confused" by Led Zeppelin, is delay swell. The POD's sound is very good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: You can really depend on the POD especially because it has an adapter instead of batteries. It also has good reliability because it has a one year warranty. I probably wouldn't use on a gig without a backup because my last effects pedals I had blew out so I would want to be safe with this one. // 10

Overall Impression: If you like to play Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd you definteley want this but if your more of a Dave Matthews Band or Jack Johnson fan you might want to keep looking. I have only been playing for a year and a half but this was the best amp modeler for it's price. If my POD was stolen I would get it again because I love it's sound. My favorite feature is the fuzz box with tremolo it just has a great sound. I love everything about it. I compared this to the Vox Tonelab ($300) and the DigiTech GeNetX 4 ($400) and I thought this was the best because it's small and easy to carry and it has awesome sound. The only thing I wish it had was a pedal. I would recommend this to any guitarist. // 10

POD 2.0 Amp Modeler Reviewed by: fire within, on august 17, 2007

Purchased from: Soundcontrol

Ease of Use: One of the best parts about this POD model is the simplicity in its use, all the features can be reached by simply turning a few dials and the tap button. The patches are easy enough to get right, although I never did like most of the presets so I am making my own. The tuner I've found to be really accurate as well and the manual mode to be helpful in some cases as well, mainly in switching between sounds. // 10

Sound: The sound is impressive for such a small thing, however it was far from perfect, but that might be my ear for tone. The effects get to a point where they clip and become to heavy, there is no middle ground, either too much of the effect or not enough. It also buzzes a heck of a lot when I play(Epiphone G-400) but I also think my cables are kinda bad, but even with the noise gate I find it unacceptable to have this loud buzzing when I stop playing. On a better note, the amp models sound great, especially the Dual Rec and JCM800 models when there are a lot of great distorted sounds to be found. The cab models are all obviously different, so a 4x12 with v30s does sound different to the 4x12 Line 6 cabinet. A seven as it is not spectacular in some areas, but not terrible either. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've not had it long, only a couple of weeks so I cannot comment on reliability, but it seems very sturdy, like it is meant to last a while. I would not gig with this unless I got a proper footswitch for it, and even then I would only use if needed as I do not feel this was made for gig use. I also am paranoid so would not use anything without a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: This sounds like a good match for my rockish and metal sounds, as in typical Line 6 fashion, a lot of work has been put into the distorted sounds. If it was stolen, I probably would get higher end model like a GT-8 or the POD XT Live instead to give more sounds. I compared this to the other products and this was not as good but it was better for what it did compared to the others. All I wish it had was a better diversity in the sounds and less buzzing. // 8

POD 2.0 Amp Modeler Reviewed by: jmac72187, on march 20, 2006

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: I found this pretty easy to get some good sounds out of. They aren't going to sound exactly like the real amps because it is digital, but they sound good. Editing patches via the actual POD is pretty easy. You just Pick the settings and then save them. I found editing via the computer to be too complicated. You are forced to use a MIDI interface which means you either have to go out and buy the interface or the cables. The more expensive XT model has a USB connection. The manual was very helpful it provided all of the information you need and was written pretty clearly. // 10

Sound: I played this in with my Epiphone Les Paul. Through my old Behringer amp. I just used this as the preamp and it sounded pretty good. The effects worked well although you can only use certain effects at the same time. I only really used this for the amp models and not really the effects. I only really played around with the effects but they worked well from what I could see. It sounded pretty good but it still doesn't have that full tone that I was looking for so I gave this an 8. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think that I could depend on this. It is made pretty solidly. The body of it is all metal and seems like it would withstand being dropped multiple times. // 10

Overall Impression: I play just about any style of rock. This works fine for what I need. I have been playing about 1 year and I now own a Vox AD100VTH and my Epiphone Les Paul. If this were stolen I would probably not buy it again because I do not need it that badly. I compared this to the Behringer V-Amp and this sounded a little bit better. I don't know if it is worth the extra $100 new though. // 9

POD 2.0 Amp Modeler Reviewed by: sammy501, on april 12, 2006

Ease of Use: Easy to use main controls however you do have to have a good memeory to remember the second functions of the amp models adn I am constantly locking them up in the manual. The manual is great it is very well laid out and describes all the tonal variances that can be acheived with each amp model. // 8

Sound: I run my Les Paul through a Crybaby into the POD and then that into my Marshall. I also have my POD plugged into my laptop to further enhance its capabilities. The noise gate button is true genius as it cuts out all of the background noise from the guitar (not that theres much anyway from a les Paul), this is extremley useful when you have the POD set on the Line 6 Insane amp model. As for the effects they are spot on and they are extremley easy to use to get a sopund from a sound eg. intro to boulevard of broken dreams' tremelo is very easy to get. The effects always sound spot on. Using the POD plugged into my lapotop I simply log on to custiomtone. com and can then download patches that people and Line 6 staff have produced and then send them to the edit buffer of my POD. It's that easy. All of the amp models are accurate ant the tonal variances are nothing short of monumental. This is possible via the options of: presence, delay level, reverb decay, volume boost, distortion boost, delay feedback and effect speed. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have been using the POD for over a year and have not had a single problem with it. It is built from a metal shell so it is virtually unbreakable. I would feel comfortable using it without a backup while gigging. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from Racer X Metal, to John Williams classical guitar and the POD can cope with it all effortlessly. I can play Clssical guitar through a downloaded patch as well as some twelve string guitar through my six string. I bought this product because it was highly rated and came top in a magazine poll of the ten top products of the decade, I have never looked back on spending the money. If it was stolen or I lost it I would probably buy the POD XT, because it has a few more amp models and more connctivity. If you are looking to buy a multi-effects unit then I would definitley recommend buying or at least trying the Line 6 POD 2.0. It will blow you away! // 10

POD 2.0 Amp Modeler Reviewed by: guitarsonist, on january 21, 2010

Price paid: A$ 200

Purchased from: Trademe (NZD not AUD)

Ease of Use: The POD is very easy to use, select the amp you want out of 32, select the cab and effects and adjust EQ. If you really have no clue there are plenty of good presets on the Line 6 Custom tone site. But I have found many different good tones for my particular setup very easily. It is incredibly easy to edit presets and save them. // 10

Sound: I use it with my Schecter Omen Extreme 7 string and usually straight into the computer via Lexicon Alpha interface to record OR with my Roland Cube 100 amp which it sounds great with. So far it has sounded amazing with any amp/PA I have used it with. There is NO feedback or noise. Just press the Noise Gate button and it is absolutely silent when you aren't playing. Distortion may be a little weak for some people, but with a 7 string it's perfect. I can get the sound of most of my favourite bands whether it be a djent tone like Meshuggah or a low gain but heavy tone like Opeth. The many effects are great to use, and are very tweakable to whatever sound or song you are replicating. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The POD 2 is a very solid piece of equipment. It is build to last. The only thing is that I have the older version, for which all the footswitches have been discontinued. This means I can't play live with it as the only way to change channels is to press little buttons with your finger. But that is not a product fault, it is just Line 6 trying to squeeze more money out of people. If I did have a footswitch for it I would definitely use it live without worries. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Metal, mainly (technical) Death Metal and other technical stuff. My favourite bands are Opeth, Meshuggah, Behemoth, The Faceless etc and this caters to them as well as 300 odd other bands I love. The only thing I wish I had known was that this older version doesn't have footswitches made. If it was stolen I would probably upgrade to a Line 6 PODXT Live purely because I could gig with it and I know it has everything the POD 2 has and more. What I love about it most is being able to record directly to the computer (Cubase) without micing amps as I did before. This makes it so much more easy and inspiring to write music. Also it doesn't have to be loud to sound good! With headphones it sounds great (but of course it is just as good with amps and direct into PAs). // 10

Comments