POD HD300 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Line 6: POD HD300

Purchased from: DV 24/7

I'm plugging my HD300 straight into my laptop using a Jackson DK2M and using Senheisser HD202's (not the greatest pair of headphones I know. On the distorted sounds, this thing does get noisy, but using the noise gate helps clear that up). Once properly tweaked, some of the sounds this unit produces are brilliant (I'm especially pleased with the clean tones). And the heavier models for metals sound very good - lead tones again sound pretty good once tweaked properly. Playing metal, I can get a good tone for Metallica songs to Bullet For My Valentine to Iron Maiden (the Treadplate model is pretty heavy sounding) Onto effects, the actual effects are very articulate and natural sounding, it as a range from simple Chorus's to Pitch Changers and even to a Smart Harmoniser. However, the unit itself has set certain effects in each of the 3 banks - i.e. Delays are only in FX3 and cannot be changed, OD is in FX1 and cannot be moved around nor can you run two of the pedals at the same - imo this is a huge let down - i.e. you can't even run an EQ pedal and OD at the same time, because there in the same bank. Also the wah's are pretty weak and to my ears sound the same.

Playing majority metal and its various subgenre's. The POD does Excel with some models but some a big let down (the Engl and Marshall JCM model's) - they just sound really weak. Previously I played through POD Farm, and honestly its not the biggest step up in the world (the leads just sound more articulate). I regret not playing with it enough in the store. If stolen, I wouldn't buy it again, I'd just invest in the expansion packs for POD Farm, buy a better pair of headphones/monitors and a nice Wah pedal) and I reckon it'll sound better than the POD HD300. Overall, it's an okay unit not the greatest, and if anyone were looking into buying anything from the POD HD series, go for the 500 - the use of any effect any bank, and graphic EQ and POD farm capability are little features which will satisfy any guitar play.

Gotta say this thing is built like a tank, I've dropped it a couple of times and its damaged my flooring not the unit (units more important). If I were to gig I probably would without a backup.

Getting a good sound out of this unit is pretty hard work (IMO), the factory preset's aren't the best (bar a few of the really crazy sounding ones). Editing the patches is simple using the POD HD300 Edit software, otherwise editing patches on the unit itself can be a pain (but some will get used to it I think).

vascoa7x
    Zephyroudret wrote: The default presets are for covers in a 85%,that's basic knowledge,line6 "economic" products are for a special market,the people who play guitar as hobby to make some covers.Also you're comparing the 300 model not the 500 there's a huge diference between them,IMO you expected miracles with a cheap product.
    i agree, i have the 300 version and i like it, it's not perfect the metal tones are awesome, rock tones arent that good.. but the price difference between the 300 and 500 is really big, so lol if mine was stolen i would buy it again cause the 500 model is just to expensive unforunatelly for some of us. For the price 300 this is a very good unit, i dont know any other unit in the price range of 300 that sounds better than this
    Devilbliss
    I also have an HD500 and I cannot recommend it enough. There may not be a podfarm type program but there is a website from line 6 with quite a few nice presets on it to get you started... I am not sure if they all work with the HD300/400 though.
    Shoji001
    I have the Pod HD500. tried both instore to see if there was much sound differents, mot much, but the editing is SO MUCH EASIER!!!! and a lot more acsesability, with more footswitchest aswell. that would be my recomendation
    Alex122a
    I'm thinking about buying the Pod HD 400, What do you think of that unit?
    bimariyanto
    Alex122a wrote: I'm thinking about buying the Pod HD 400, What do you think of that unit?
    POD HD series had no difference about the sounds, only a little bit different in tweaking settings and ease of use, but my opinion is, POD HD300's amp simulator sound is just good except the j800 tone is not really good, sounds weird compared to the real marshall jcm800 sound.. so if you looking for a good amp simulator, this item would be your best choice, i use it for 5 months and had no sound problems at all..
    ProgJazzMath
    To get good sounds out of these you must learn how to tweak the settings. Most of the stock settings aren't too amazing, but with the EQ you can work wonders and get just about any tone you are looking for. Also, these things may be digital, but the sound that comes out is fairly close to what a tube amp would produce. I recommend this for anyone who wants good tone. You just have to put some work into it to get the tone you want.
    AcousticMetal99
    how would you say this compares to a Boss ME series? i think the closest to this is the ME-25? personally, I find it easier to use & get good tone out of. However, the EQ on this is superior.
    Zephyroudret
    mydian
    Wow people rating this low. Line 6 band wagon bashers? It's not a spider. Thanks for the review. I've been wondering about these and what you said about the limited fx selection due to being in the same bank, I'll go for the 500 if I ever have the cash.
    shredder3386
    I had always had bad experiences with digital processors, but I finally relented and got the PODHD500 and it is pretty much the best ****ing pedal ever. It has so many output options its nuts. I realized this is the 300 not the 500, but if you are considering this and have the extra cash get the 500, its an amazing piece of gear.
    mcamp1230
    Would have liked the reveiwer to have used this thing with a amp or PA system before he wrote the reveiw.