POD Studio UX2 review by Line 6

Line 6: POD Studio UX2

Purchased from: zZounds.com

Running a Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster Re-Issue, through some Monster cables and some Samson monitors I got a very true clean tone. I found that it works great with clean tones but, unfortunately, works terribly with distortions when it comes to the models. The only work around that I've found to this was to use a decent mic to mic your amp with the sound you want. I have yet to find a decent distortion model that can handle chords or heavier things. It sounds very grainy and over saturated. I did however find some decent lead models. I can't blame the UX2 for the failure in distortion models though. Anyone Who has worked with any other modeling program (GuitarRig for example) will know how hard it is to get a decent distortion from a model. As far as effects go, they all do what they claim to do well enough to use them in your recordings. They're pretty tweakable and you'll find yourself playing with them for a good amount of time. No complaints here. Most of the 100s of presets do in fact match up with the song/artist they claim to mimic. Only a few sounded off and even then they still sound close enough to recognize. I'd recommend this to anyone doing some form of basic rock that doesn't involve anything too heavy if you aren't willing to invest in a decent mic. Otherwise, it's delivers some pretty impressive tone for the price.

I play progressive/experimental/ambient rock which is perfect for this interface in my opinion. I've been playing for about 4 years now and just got into recording with this interface. So far I'm learning quickly and not having many problems achieving what I've wanted to achieve in recording a demo. I didn't expect too much from the interface and because of it I was more than satisfied. With most interfaces running well over $200 this is definitely a steal. If you're a beginner like me, looking to get into recording or just to lay down some tracks at home I'd definitely recommend this. This also comes with the "FX Junkie Model Pack" which includes over 35 more effect pedal models (a $60 value) which also made it worth the money. If this were lost or stolen I'd definitely buy it again. To finish off I'd say that the POD Farm is definitely better than the previous GearBox and once again makes it worth the price. Definitely worth dropping some money down for!

The product looks pretty durable but it was lighter than I expected which I guess is a good thing. I'm sure it could handle a few drops but I wouldn't say you can smash it with a hammer and expect it to see working again. Software-wise, it hasn't given me any problems what'soever yet (even while running multiple programs).

This is the revamped version of the previous UX2 formerly known as the TonePort. The actual interface hasn't had any changes other than it's color being changed to completely black. The reason I waited around for this one was simply for the packaged software that was recently released, the POD Farm. It is a replacement for the previous Gearbox software.

teknotard
    thats a good question. I have been looking around. I don't think it is available to us because Line-6 monkey would have shown it.
    Me@UGC
    EVERYONE WITH A TONEPORT (UX1/UX2/UX8) CAN GET THE POD FARM. Just go to Line6 site, search for POD Farm and download it (using your existing Line6 account).
    teknotard
    Me@UGC wrote: EVERYONE WITH A TONEPORT (UX1/UX2/UX8) CAN GET THE POD FARM. I love you. thanks! Just go to Line6 site, search for POD Farm and download it (using your existing Line6 account).
    vegetoe01
    Pod farm just seems like gearbox, but with a nicer interface and the ability to mix two totally different rigs into one sound. I can't seem to find the noise gate *learn tool* gearbox has in pod farm yet either.
    ernasty10050
    POD Farm isn't as good because it is missing the music player! I haven't found a real use for dual tones yet but the lack of a music player means I basically never will use it.
    wolfy808
    You can download the new software (Pod Farm) off the Line 6 website, if you have a Line 6 account. It's not much better, but when it comes to choosing gear, the list is more organized, and easier to add new equipment to the signal chain. The downside is that it's missing the metronome and Player function
    intheshaw
    ok so im looking at either this model or the previous one. Which one would you guys pick?
    diegonj
    I wanna buy this audio interface but the recommended computer Drive speed is 7200rpm and the minimum requiment is 5400rpm my laptop's drive speed is 54000rpm so im at the min DOES ANYONE HAVE THIS INTERFACE RUNNING ON A 5400rpm AND DOES IT WORK GOOD?
    CrazyJet
    I'v ordered it and its coming sometime this week! BTW my cousins have a scream metal band, so they basically always use distortion. They have this and have got a record label and are working on a second album. Surely this must mean that you have a better ear for good distortion than record labels. I seriously doubt that! BUY THIS! You can also use it to record!