POD Studio UX2 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 3.5 Poor
Line 6: POD Studio UX2

I used a BC Rich Warlock guitar with a Steve's Special and an Air Norton. (Bolt on neck), and headphones for recording purposes which I purchased from radioshack. As I said, the setting are horrible for metal or rock, absolute junk. I don't recommend it period, really... you can spend more money purchasing a board with speakers and Protools or really reknowned software, but youll get your moneys worth...to me this felt like money down the drain. I have a 35 dollar two year warrantee and paid 200 bucks for it, not to mention another 50 for the patch, ad it was all for nothing...go buy that expansive stuff, it's worth it...

I bought it last week after reviewing it, which turned out to be misinforming, it sounded like it was good for tone. WRONG. I tried to find a clean distortion n this box that simulated that of a Boss Metal Core pedal, or a clean, thick distortion. All I got from this box and the programs that came alongside it was a deep, trashy tinny distortion with a horrible tone. when you hit a string the distortion wasnt clean, there is a SHITLOAD of horrible fuzz. I even used the noise gate, plus the buzzkilling setting on the gearbox program. it still sounded like shit. I was froced to go through and use a shitload of different amp and heightening the threshold on them so the shitty Drive of the distortion couldnt get through, and eventually what I got modelled the same sound of old black metal music, or old gothenburg style Death Metal, like ceremonial oath and OLD In Flames and dark tranquillity, AFTER I purchased a 50 dollar patch for the amp models that were supposedly 'metal'. I am still trying to find a way to add bass and Drive to this distortion without recieveing the buzzing and the horrible extra fuzz. If you have any idea how I can achieve this Please write - XxDismiss_the_CynicsxX@yahoo.com.

It seems like a good box itself, that wasn't the issue, it's the shoddy software that came with it. I wouldn't ever buy it again if I lost it, it isn't reiable at all, Line 6 products are all horrible, I was hoping that they would at least have success with a good recording interface, but I was let down AGAIN.

I've had nothing but problems with this box, and it didn't even come with ANY instructions. not a sheet of paper explaining the use of it at all. It looked like there mightve been instructions on the box, BUT there were four different languages, NONE WERE IN ENGLISH. As far as recording, it doesnt even come with real software, from what I understand. It came with gearbox which is nothing more than a pre-recrding interface, which is useless, and POD farm, which is supposed to be a program allowing you to customize your settings. It also came with Riffworks which I have had zero success with, the tutorial wasn't in depth or really even explanatory, and some other disc came with it that appeared to have a use, but I suppose I was mistaken, as it did NOTHING. It is a waste of money unless you play alternative music, and 'lighter' styles, or have a fondness for horrible sounding music. I would say, don't waste your money on this cheap piece of shit.

teknotard
    I have the UX1 and use the amp farm and gear ox for differnt things. Ignore the second review. Clearly this person has no idea what he is doing and rather then fairly rating it, he gave it all 1's in frustration (and becasue of his complete lack of experience).
    HagstromSpeed
    Yeah, the 2nd review obviously has no experience with recording tools at all. This is mainly an input tool to use running through a *dun dun dun* RECORDING PROGRAM! Line 6 programs are audio interfaces only, buy a recording program and learn how to produce and layer instead of bashing something you know little about...do your research before you jump into something you cant handle.
    manwithplan
    i have to say i agree i have had nothing but problems with my UX2, i can record amazing acoustic songs but the minute i try doing drums it sounds horrible no matter wht mics i use and it seems un capable to record a mic'd up amp EVEN WITH DECENT MICS! i have gotten better tone out of a 7quid mic, cheap desk with interface and audiacity!!! FAIL
    SanJose
    Me@UGC wrote: EVERYONE WITH A TONEPORT (UX1/UX2/UX8) CAN GET THE POD FARM.
    I got it, and I have a TonePort GX.
    SanJose
    I don't think KeineAhnung1992 has used his time good enough to really learn how to use POD Farm for example. Of course, if you use a distortion pedal (I've tried with my Digitech Death Metal distortion) it will sound like shit, but my pedal and the metal core pedal is shit so.. I've found some really good DISTORTION tones from Pod Farm. I'm very satisfied with it. You have to sit for a little while and tweak until you'll get a decent tone, at least I have to, but mostly of the time you'll get good results.
    highwayone73
    I bought my UX2 about 2 weeks ago. I'm more than happy with with the vast majority of the model. Personally I don't use the distortion models all that much but my amp gets all the crunchiness I need. The delay, compression and choruses are pretty good. As long as you take the time to set up the 'puter that your're using properly and maybe take a minute to actually go to Line 6's site and learn how to use the UX2 properly it's a great medium for finding new sounds and getting some tones that might otherwise be out of your hands. KeineAhnung1992 up there sounds like he wants to plug and play, well with this thing you gotta be patient and tweak. Thats half the fun anyway.
    Smufender
    I have the UX1 with the POD Farm and I didn't have any issues installing the software or hardware. If you use the Monkey software that comes with it you should have no issues with this device. At first I thought the Line6 Monkey thing was not needed but it is, don't skip that disc. Also, if you are using a Mac with enought RAM it makes life easier, but those who own Mac's know that already. Someone made a nice little progam for a Line out feature so you can keep your Monitors plugged in to the headphone jack and hear the guitar through the Pod Farm. I think it's called LineIN or something like that. I love the effects on the POD Farm and I don't even have the full version (YET!)
    pete_190290
    I've got the toneport ux2. the pod farm is ok but i can't get it to work as a plug in on any recording software. So i plug straight into it from my amp and use the effects on that. It's got next to no latency and for the money I wouldn't recommend anything else to be honest. I run a Line6 SpiderII with a Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty and it sounds pretty gurd when i record with it.