POD Studio UX2 review by Line 6

Line 6: POD Studio UX2

I use the UX2 for recording both guitars and vocals. I play an Ibanez VBT700 through the guitar inputs and use a Shure SM57 through the mic input. There is nearly zero latency when playing or recording. With just the basic set of amps and effects, you can get the sound of nearly any artist you wish. It lacks a bit in the area of high gain amps, but you can purchase amp and effects packs through Line 6 to supplement the basic installation. It has plenty of effects, and (currently) comes with the FX Junkie expansion, which includes a ton of extra effects for anything you could imagine.

I have been playing guitar for about 3 years now. I play music in the realms of Opeth, Nightwish, Dream Theater, and Rush. I play an Ibanez VBT700, and both it and the UX2 (and my laptop) go with me everywhere. It is a great piece of equipment, and I would most definitely replace it if it were lost or stolen. For the price you could not ask for anything better. When deciding on a recording interface, I was initially hung on whether to get this or the Native Instruments Guitar Rig. I initially bought the Guitar Rig, but I had nothing but problems and delays installing it and getting it to work correctly, so I returned it for the UX2. I have not had any trouble whatsoever with this piece of equipment.

This is the area where the UX2 loses some points. The casing of the UX2 is entirely plastic. However, it seems fairly sturdy. I have already dropped it twice, once in the box and once on the carpet in my room, and it has suffered no damage whatsoever. I keep it sitting on a shelf near my desk for easy access, and I've hit it with random objects and dropped a book or two on it, and it has taken no damage. So although it is plastic, it seems fairly reliable.

Before purchasing the UX2, I read a lot of reviews complaining about the difficulty of using the UX2. After buying it and using it for a few short hours, I have yet to figure out the problem those people had. It takes only a short time to install the software that comes with the UX2. Once installed, simply plug in the interface, hook up your guitar, and play. It takes some fiddling with the different amps and effects to find all of the sounds you are looking for, but that is only because there is so much to choose from. Even after owning this thing for a few weeks, I am still finding new sounds and features I wasn't aware of. It is a great piece of equipment, and I don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon. I bought the UX2 primarily because I wanted something small and light weight to take to and from college. However, it proved to be a very decent recording interface, and I now use it whenever I do any recording. The product lacks a manual, but everything is self explanatory.

Bendybaws
    I'm able to coax some very good tones out of pod farm, distorted and clean
    InsanePlayer
    I'm thinking of buying the UX2, but these reviews have made me a bit confused so i would love to get a straight answer, is it possible to get a good distortion from it? thanks for the help //inSane
    Fear3001
    sometimes reviews can be retarded like this one why is the pod studio ux1 got a really good review but this worse when its got more inputs and stuff i dont really get it
    Waffleguy
    KeineAhnung1992 is probably just a troll/an idiot because I never heard anything like this before . Also manwithplan why would you record a drum with a cheap usb interface for guitar/bass but I have heard other people who say that it works good with recording and ending your comment with 3 exclamation marks and FAIL isn't going to make your comment look serious.
    Eryth
    It actually works great. Ignore the second review. I play death metal and I got some great tones with the Metal Shop pack and the marshall / dual recto models in the standard Farm RTAS, both old school death metal and modern brutal high-gain stuff.
    Ruin.
    So .. my friend bought the UX2 and told me to come over and see it. I wasnt expecting anything just something to make different sounds through your computer. But i used it, tried recording for 15 mins and i was hooked instantly . Now im buying my own to record Metal tracks. Sickkk sound and soo easy to use Riffworks with it.
    lotrpippin
    got a question: i'm considering buying either the UX2 or the UX1. i have an SG clone guitar with EMG pickups, which as far as i'm aware are high-output. i read somewhere online that the second guitar input on the UX2 is meant for high output guitars. i'm wondering, does that mean if i buy the UX1 then my guitar won't sound good through the single input? would i have to spend the extra money to get the UX2 even though i don't need/want any of it's other extra features?
    In The Mist
    Am I the only one who bought a UX1 just to use as an interface? It seems that most of the revies here are based on the pod farm software it comes with. Although I've gotten some pretty good tones from pod farm, I found the limitid combinations of efects a little hindering. I use amplitube 3 with it andI think it sounds great.