Pod X3 Live review by Line 6

Line 6: Pod X3 Live

Purchased from: Long And McQuade

Right off the bat I will say that the modeling Line 6 has put into this piece of equipment is top notch. With over 70 amp models and 20 cabs, it's hard to run out of options when designing tones. In fact, it's impossible. Now that the POD has dual tone (hybrid) capabilities, the possibilities are endless. Being able to run two amps and cabs at the same time makes an infinite amount of tones available. While there are tones available at www.customtone.com, Line 6's online tone community, the best option is to make your own tones using Gear Box to personally suit them to your needs and equipment. While doing this is time consuming, it will get you the sound of your favorite artists, or the tone that will make you famous. Getting artists like Rage Against The Machine or John Mayer is definitely a reality with the easy to use Equalizer. Another important feature is the support for Bass and vocals. Just like with the guitar it's easy to use and very similar in setup. You would plug the Mic into the XLR inputs (it also has XLR outputs, something you usually need a Direct input for) and select one of the Mic presets. From there you can use the Dual tone capabilities and have a Microphone and a guitar or bass running at the same time. And it sounds Miraculous. The Bass options are almost identical to using the guitar effects. Overall the thing sounds Gorgeous. Starting from scratch, finding your amp and cab for the sound you want, and adding the effects has never been easier or more rewarding.

Playing a wide range from Stevie Ray Vaughan to Lamb Of God, the POD X3 Live suits all. Without it I fear I would be lost in the musical world. If it were stolen I would go bash my head on the floor for an hour. Then I would go out and buy a new one. The slim, slick looking Black design will make any guitarist look like a serious one. The only complaint I have is not with the Machine it self, but with Line 6 monkey. It was the program I used to use to transfer my tones around. Whenever a new update would come out I had to fully reinstall Monkey just to get it to work again. Now that the Gear Box software is out I'll never need Line 6 Monkey again, seeing as though I thoroughly enjoy creating my own tones, but I had to say something bad right? Overall, If you want pedals that will always work and keep your music going through the night, this is the one to get excited about. Don't even think about getting anything else, I've used "anything else" and it just doesn't compare.

There's not much to say but, if I were a famous musician on world tour, this would be the Machine I use. I would choose it any day of the week over anything else. The only problem I have ever had with the Machine was when I uh... just kidding, I have never had any problems and I don't expect I will.

First let me say, this multi-effects processor is very easy to use. Near the top of the Machine are Knobs for Specific tone volume, verb (reverb), Treble, Bass etc. In the upper left-hand there is an LCD display which shows the loop order of the effects. Using the save knob you can quickly save and of the quick changes you make. In the middle of the board there are pedals for Delay, Modulation, Compression, Stomp Box and the Dual tone Switch. Any of these effects can be quickly turned off or on by hitting them, and double tapping them will bring up the menu for editing each effect. You can literally edit effects in seconds. At the bottom of the board is the standard 1, 2, 3, 4 for tone selection, and the tap (hold for tuner) button. Overall the interface is very user friendly and does not take long to learn. As of the end of April, the Gearbox software for editing patches is now available. To say this is an amazing piece of software is an understatement. It is the most user friendly piece of equipment that allows you to quickly access each tone on your POD X3 Live and change all the settings. It shows all the tones on your POD in a list so you can grab them and make all your changes.

rahulrmishra
    jaked54
    rahulrmishra wrote: i'm plannin to buy a new processor.. i have an ibanez paul gilbert signature model ie PGM 3 .. and i play metallica.. shud i go for GT 10 or Line 6's POD X3 LIVE ? please help out..
    type in line 6 pod x3 in youtube and go to the video that says maurice on guitar. now go change your shorts
    DT770
    I am currently comparing the X3live with the GT10 how do you feel they compare? I use it for church, classic, contempory rock as well as middle eastern and techno. Please advise Thanks!
    hellraiserharry
    evening_crow wrote: Oh i forgot to say that the only effects that i wish it had are an acoustic and a sitar simulator. who knows...maybe line 6 will put them out and they can just be downloaded to the pedal since it can be easily updated for free.
    Updated for free? u can get those at the custom tone section!!i guessing u wont need to update it
    AndrewMuller
    evening_crow
    AndrewMuller wrote: the pedal has a whammy for goodness sake! It's in the stompbox section, the very last effect. It is fully cusomizable with a range of -24 to +24. That is four octaves! Two lower and two higher. I use this personally in concert when playing Muse's Newborn.
    I had already mentioned that but no one seemed to notice it. I personally prefer using my Digitech Whammy because it makes it so much easier.
    revengedspite
    I just got this, its pretty sweet, I'm still figuring everything so it'll keep me busy for a long time, I use it with my weeping deamon cause I like its wah better. And no one's mentioned how good it sounds when recording through the usb into the computer, I used to use some crappy mic but htis is sweet
    AndrewMuller