Pod X3 Live review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 4.8 Poor
Line 6: Pod X3 Live

Purchased from: EBAY NEW

Well first off, I think it sounds terrible in front of an amp even changing the setting to in front of combo. It sounds better directly to the board, but then you are faced with a lot of feedback when using high gain patches. Guitar amps were never intended to have horns, so this rises the guitar frequency to a point that causes a lot of feedback. I play bass in one band and guitar in the other, so I got to try both sides of this pedal. On bass the pedal is terrible, almost everything sounds the same. It sounds like a cheap solid state bass amp. On guitar it does much better, but after 2 months of working on it I finally got a group of patches I was happy with. So I decided to compare it to my other rig I used for years. My other rig is a Fender tweed amp, with a few expensive analog pedals. That was a real eye opener, even after two months of tweaking my Original setup blew it away. Needless to say I sold it on ebay the same week. I will stick to a tube amp with analog pedals.

I thought I would try one of these all in one units again. I tried one about 5 years ago, and hated it. But I thought they would have gotten better, plus this one also covered bass. Never again, it would be ok for a beginner that has nothing and wants to cover a wide rage of sounds, or for practice. But for gigging it just doesn't sound good enough. You would be better saving for a nice tube amp and start collecting analog pedals.

Built cheap, it has metal buttons that just push on small plastic toggle switches on the board. The plastic scratches easy, and most of the unit is plastic. The power cord is very thin also. But I had no issues, but search the net because there are a lot of reports of swtiches failing, locking up, and boards burning up.

Wow, this unit takes weeks to be able to use it in a Live situation. As usual the default presets have a few nice high gain settings, or if you luck out and play one of the 30 or so song presets. The gear box is a nice interface for the pc, but the problem is what sounds great on there usually sucks at gig volume through the PA. Then using the controls on the board sucks, but are ok for a fast tweak. But on of the biggest problems with these types of pedals, and holds true with the x3 are the volume differences between patches. If you use 20 or more it takes forever to level them.

spyda623
    hi has anyone used the bass section yet on the x3 live, they claim its a bass players secret weapon ? true or not ?