Pod X3 Live review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Line 6: Pod X3 Live

Purchased from: Ebay

I'm using this with my Carvin CT6 and running directly into my Rokit 8's, so there isnt' an amp coloring the sound. I have hooked it up to my big tube amplifier once or twice before, and when I did, there was like a rhythmic clicking sound... like a metronome but more annoying. It seemed to be an artifact of digital and analog components trying to talk to each other because I don't get the same thing when I run through monitors. Line 6 effects are geared for more hardcore players it seems. There's lots of high gain, metally, effectsy presets on the whole POD line, this is no exception. So for me, maybe not the best fit, but I can still get a good sound out of it.

I play with light crunch and reverb, mostly. So this thing is kind of overkill for me. I've been playing for about 5 years. I sold off all my pedals in favor of MFX about a year ago. I hate actually setting up effects chains and finding out which cable or unit is causing the noise... bleh. It doesn't seem to play nice with my MacBook these days, so that's a downside. If it were lost, I'd probably try a Boss setup next. I mostly went with this guy because it was on the cheap on eBay. I guess navigating and editing on the screen bothers me. I'd rather it were more stomp boxy, like those new Line6 stomp box modelers or an ME-70. I didn't really compare it to anything else when I got it. I had a Pocket POD and figured this would be a nice supersized version, which it basically is. I figure most MFX units in this class perform about the same so I didn't give it too much thought.

I'm not sure if I would use this thing on a gig without a backup. Maybe... I have had an issue with this thing where it seems like it's not getting enough power or something and it abruptly shuts off and makes a loud, deep, feedback noise through the amp or monitors. That certainly wouldn't be cool mid song. Ever since I saw it do that, I would be hesitant to debut the Pod on stage. As for its actual construction, it does seem to be pretty sturdy. The bottom of it is made out of some kind of heavy duty plastic. So it doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling that all metal stomp boxes give me, but it's close. I don't think there's any risk of breaking this thing. I suppose if the LCD screen got stepped on, that would be a big problem. There would be no way to know where you were in the effects settings or see what you were modifying.

It's not hard to get a good sound out of this thing. The interface is "fairly" intuitive. It has stomps for all the effects and the knobs and stuff seem to make sense. I'd say figuring out all the inputs and outputs is the worst part, and then the dual tone thing. Editing patches isn't bad, but it was a bit frustrating turning a knob to get every letter I wanted. I got mine on eBay, so I went online for the manual. I haven't really seen the need for a manual on this thing.

FlameGame
    Hey guys, HELP NEEDED! I'm new to multi-effects but I use Line 6 Spider III for practice but now I am looking for a professional and ready to be used on-stage processor...I play Death Metal, Punk, Hard Rock and a little Thrash..I have come down to: 1. Line 6 Pod X3 Live 2. Digitech RP1000 I dont like Boss GT10. I dont know why..I am leaning towards the digitech one because I want great value for money...Please suggest and advice whatever
    qwertyag
    The metal pedal push buttons suck on this thing. It hurts to go barefoot and they stick. I really liked the XT Live plastic buttons better. Other than that complaint, this thing sounds great...