POD XT Live review by Line 6

Line 6: POD XT Live

Purchased from: Sam Ash

The manual is informative and takes the guesswork out of editing patches and MIDI options. But you can use this thing right away without reading the manual. And as of this writing there are no updates for the firmware that I am aware of. I have used this device live through a PA which I have to say was a bit dodgy but that was due to my not really setting my patches correctly. I generally use a Fender Strat or my Fender '52 Tele Reissue through the XT Live but I recently brought my Gretch Duojet from a deep sleep and plugged that in utilizing my blackface Fender Twin. You do have to do some tweaking depending what type of guitar you can use but you do have 32 open patches so you can create your own custom patches or download them from Line 6 and transfer them from your computer into your POD via the USB port. Try doing that with a vintage pedal. As far as the sounds go, that's a bit objective. There are very good ones, all of the distortion sounds are great and the vintage pedals like the Univibe sound like the real thing. I set up one of my patches for a Robin Trower type of vibe utilizing the univibe and Fuzz Face and it sounds good. In fact all of the patches and effects sound great depending on what guitar I am using. What sounds great for single coil pickups might sound like warm doo doo on a guitar with humbuckers and vice versa. Some patches are noisy but are noisy because the patch was designed to mimic a certain quality of whatever it's cloning but that can be remedied by using the built in noise gate but again you have to experiment which is easy, time consuming, but easy.

I love the ease of use and the sound of this Machine. I love the fact it does not use a wall wart for a power supply but a nice long in-line transformer type. I hate the fact that the pad switch and headphone level are on the back of the unit. I tried the Boss and Vox versions of the same thing and I found the Line 6 had a lot more better tones and useful effects. Plus I already have a PODXT. I do wish it came with a carrying bag but instead you have to buy it separately for $70.

This thing is built rugged. Other pedal boards I have seen on the market are either made plastic or some other flimsy material. This thing is made of metal and has solid construction through out. The switches seemed to be sealed so there is no chance of liquids getting inside. This would be a device I would use without a backup but always have a backup anyway, its just good common sense.

If your are already familiar with Line 6 products like the PODXT and you love the effects and tone it delivers but was wishing for a floorboard to go with it, wish no longer because the PODXT Live is here. With close to 36 different amp models and 23 different cabinet configurations as well as mic type and placing, 27 different classic stomp box models, 24 modulation effects, 14 delay patches, 15 reverb patches, expression pedal and various EQ options this thing is a must have for the working musician as well as a nice piece for weaponry in the home studio. Right of the box this baby has great patches. For 1-8 slap on your headphones via the headphone jack and wail away and give the knobs a spin while you're at it. These patches are designed to be used through a mixer for recording or a live PA. The tone controls are just like those on an amp so it's so easy to adjust your tone and levels as well as via the "edit" button. But be forewarned, there is so much here to tweak you will probably have to take a 2-week vacation to really get to see what this thing has to offer. The next bank, 9-16 were designed to be used in front of an amp and again the controls are easy to use and this thing made my Fender Twin Reverb spring to life. This thing is so easy to use my dog could program it. The manual is informative and takes the guesswork out of editing patches and MIDI options. But you can use this thing right away without reading the manual. And as of this writing there are no updates for the firmware that I am aware of. I have used this device live through a PA which I have to say was a bit dodgy but that was due to my not really setting my patches correctly. I generally use a Fender Strat or my Fender 52 Tele reissue through the XT Live but I recently brought my Gretch Duojet from a deep sleep and plugged that in utilizing my blackface Fender Twin. You do have to do some tweaking depending what type of guitar you can use but you do have 32 open patches so you can create your own custom patches or download them from Line 6 and transfer them from your computer into your POD via the USB port. Try doing that with a vintage pedal.