POD XT Live review by Line 6

Line 6: POD XT Live

I use a Gibson SG Standard through a Mesa Stiletto Head and Speaker Cabinet. On certain distortions a lot of feedback is produced this can be gotten rid of thanks to a built in noise supressor. The effects themselves are very strong but very digital also. That can be a major turn off to some people but I like it alot more than just straight amp distortions. I really like the Eddie V Eruption setting. I just altered it a bit to my liking and I use it for lead playing in every song. The best settings are the clean tones and even though you can find a good distorted sound, most of them or on the border between good and bad.

I play metal and the POD combined with a Mesa works very well. I've tried out a lot of pedals but this is the one that caught my eye the most. It does have a wah pedal but you're better off not relying on it. I bought a Dunlop 535Q and its movement is much better than the pods. If it were stolen I would hunt the guy down and take it back. This thing costs Four Hundred Dollars! I love the clean sounds and I hate some of the far too digital sounding distortions. Out of its various amp models and effects I wish it had a Whammy pedal. There are various other things to say about the product but you're better off testing it at a local music shop yourself. But be wary you'll be spending a lot of money.

The POD is very sturdy and does work quite well live. It's the only thing I use during gigs because I know that it won't break down. You can be very rough with it but it'll last. Me being a lead guitarist, the volume pedal works very well. I can have it lower when I'm playing rythm and I can turn it up when I need to play a solo.

At first it was highly difficult to use and I basically stuck with its factory programmed effects. But after an hour of toying around with it started to get a hang of it. The best tone that I was able to get out of it was just by altering some of the factory patches to my liking. It's very easy to edit individual patches. All you do is step on a patch, A-D, and push edit. You then use two knobs to program each portion of the patch which are amp, stomp, mod, and delay. The manual that comes with it is fairly long but it gets the job done due to the fact that it's well organized.

Vermillion85
    It's a really Versatile unit... Since this reviews were written there has been two firmware upgrades, and a "version 3" upgrade with more amp models, and some wah models also. Good thing with line 6 all this sorta stuff is free and easy to update. i run mine through a marshal valvestate and it's awesome!