POD XT Live review by Line 6

Line 6: POD XT Live

Purchased from: A friend

I use a Yamah ERG 121 (I know it's not the best but I had to sell my old Ibanez), and a Roland Cube 15 amplifier. The sounds are great, but the high-gain amp models like the Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier, and the Marshal JCM800 can get a bit noisy, but the noise-gate takes care of that problem. Most of the amp models in it are great, depends on what kind of tone you're looking for. The stomp box models are great, and I really favored the Screamer (Based on the Ibanez Tubescreamer pedal). I normally use it as a boost for the solos. I play everything from Death Metal, black metal, progressive, shred, blues, even jazz and funk occasionally, and the POD XT Live is amazing for nearly every genre of music you want to play. Even the Wah models sound close to the real ones they're based on. Some of the presets that came with it sound great as well, and give you an idea on how you want to shape your sound. One thing I also like to do is set the expression to modify the Flanger time which gives really weird alien sounds. I also liked the Bender effect (Based on the the DigiTech Whammy). I was able to dial in a nice Iron Maiden Setting, as well as John Petrucci lead setting, but unfortunately I wasn't able to save the latter because my friend unplugged the pedal by accident.

As I mentioned before, I play a wide range of styles and this thing is built for almost everthing! I have been playing for a bit over 5 years and I've been looking for one of these pedals for about 6 months now. When I took it home I was blown away with how amazing the sounds in it were. If it were stolen I would be devastated, but I'd buy another one instantly because it has everything I need in a pedal and more. I was not sure whether to get this or a Boss GT-6, but after trying both pedals, it was clear that the XT Live is WAY better. I love how it's easy to use, and how you can update it via the internet and download tones for it online. There's nothing I hate about this pedal, it's simply amazing. I only wish it had 2 expression pedals one I could use as a Wah/volume and the other as a Whammy pedal. But it's no big deal.

The pedal is built from metal so I think it could really take beating, but I haven't dropped it so far because I try to take good care of my gear. The expression pedal is pretty sturdy and smooth and can handle quite a lot of weight, but I wouldn't suggest putting all your weight on it. I would definitely use it for gigs without backup because I don't worry about it breaking down.

The Line 6 multieffect pedal is one of the greatest. It's extremely easy to figure out how to use this pedal, but it's hard to get your desired tone out of it. You'll have to experiment with various amp/stomp box combinations and try out various EQ settings to get the tone you're looking for. The patches are easy to edit, you select which amp model you want, the cabinet, the microphone, how far you want it and other amp-related settings. Then you can select the stomp box (Drive or distortion), the mod effect (phaser, chorus, flanger...), and the delay setting for each preset. You have 32 channels and each one has four channel memories (A B C D). So you have 128 total presets. You flip between the channels with the bank buttons, and you choose the channel memory with it's corresponding button, so it's not complicated at all. Once you're done, you just press the SAVE button to store this preset. I usually prefer to edit my presets using the Line 6 Edit software available for free at www.line6.com. The manual explains how to work with this pedal, and describes the amps and effects in it. It wasn't very useful because the pedal is very straightforward and doesn't really need a manual.

Ne0Assass1n
    zoso_boy99 wrote: does the POD XT LIve have an acoustic simulator? If so its a for sure buy
    It does, but can only used with Line 6's Variax guitar
    J Mud
    Ne0Assass1n wrote: It does, but can only used with Line 6's Variax guitar
    nah, if you tweak the pod right you can get an acoustic sound with any guitar using acoustic modelled amps