POD XT Live review by Line 6

Line 6: POD XT Live

Purchased from: Online auction

I'm using the PODXT with Ibanez MTM2 guitar and Marshall Valvestate 8100, usually plugging it in the poweramp and using modelling to get my sound. There are sometimes fizz issues like I said before but they always can be fixed with proper settings. And then PODXT sounds just great. I have my band, but I like playing covers as well, so I have to have a good sound choice. And I managed to nail sound of my favorite bands very well. Slipknot, Whitechapel, Slayer, Korn, AC/DC... Those are just few of sounds I managed to recreate with playing with settings a little. And they all sound very good. As I said, amp models are great with enough tweaking. PODXT has also a lot of effects. Distortions, choruses, flangers, it has it all and they sound just fine in my opinion. I also liked Wah models very much, you can easily get Wah sound Dimebag-style, and I love this sound.

I play mainly various styles of metal, so I need to get good hi-gain sounds and PODXT succeeds at it. But you will also be able to get good rock, blues tones as well. The cleans are great as well. I'm not an effect guy, typically I need just a good hi-gain sound and sometimes a wah, but when I want to play around with effects, PODXT has every one I can imagine. If it was stolen, I wouldn't rest before I would beat the crap out of the thief and I definitely would get a next one. I recommend this product highly for any music style if you have just one thing - patience with tweaking settings. You have it, the PODXT Live will satisfy you.

I have it for a while and it never shown a hint of failure. The casing is metal, I often wear heavy boots when playing and sometimes I will kick the footswitch too hard, but nothing ever happened - it's tough. I use it without a backup and I'm never worried that it will break.

PodXT's controls are very intuitive and easy to learn. But there is somewhat of a learning curve. Most amps won't sound good when you just choose them and play. Very many people complain about fizz, and it happens on big number of models. But you can make most models sound very good. You just need to experiment with settings, especially with equalizer. You can always make fizz disappear with tweaking (hint: fizz on most models can be fixed by cutting 9.6kHz frequency on the equalizer). With exception of this, PODXT is very easy to use. Trading patches with the computer and direct recording requires just a USB cable and some small programs.

kaweichan
    How does this compare with a Vox Tonelab EX? And would it go well through a Cube 30x??