POD XT Live review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Line 6: POD XT Live

Purchased from: Craigslist

Like any Amp modeler/plugin, after a few minutes of messing with it you figure it out and how to work it. Working with it live is a breeze. There is 32 different banks which you can load 4 completely different amps/effects/sounds to. Lets say your playing live and you have 4 different tones you switch from (Rhythm, Lead, Clean, crazy effect) just program those to a,b,c,d and instead of stomping multiple pedals you just hit one. You can do that 32 times! I don't know about you guys but I always get kind of sketched out when I'm using multiple pedals and lots of guitar cables. If you do have a problem or sound cutting out you have to go through multiple things, but with this you just need two guitar cables. If you live in a apartment like, this pedalboard is great for silent practice via headphones!

I know Line 6 gets a lot of hate, but this pedalboard is awesome. There is newer, more updated models and versions of this (Line 6 Helix) but you definitely get your bang for buck with this one. It has all your major amps, cabs and effects ( Mesa, Marshall, Soldano, Tubescreamer,etc...) and even 3 different microphones (sm57,421,u87) you can choose from. With all the knobs you have on your real amp you can tweak, it also has a built in 4-band EQ, Compressor, and Noise Gate. The amps and tones are good but not great. It is a cheaper modeler so for the money you spend it's worth it. I compared this to my Fractal Axe-FX II and it holds up somewhat haha (Sorry I love my Fractal!)

YouTube preview picture

This pedalboard is meant for live use. Very easy to use and program your tones so when playing live you just have to stomp one pedal instead of multiple. It has a tuner built in which is great and also a volume/wah pedal also. I have to say though, to engage wah you have to click in volume pedal just like a real wah-wah but mine is really hard to engage. I really gotta push it down and sometimes I can't get it to turn off with out putting some power down with my foot. It would really suck if you were playing live and couldn't get the wah going for your big solo and your just smashing the volume pedal with your foot on stage haha. Other than that this thing is a tank. Everything lights up to so it would be very easy to use in dark rooms.

You can get really heavy rock/metal tones to super jazzy clean pretty easy with this. This is definitely a fun toy to have but if your recording your big hit, or playing that huge gig I would probably leave this at home. If your just practicing though this thing is awesome. I have a Axe-FX now so this thing doesn't get much love but before when I was playing with a amp (5150iii) I would just bypass the amp and cab, and use the effects. I would run a Tubescreamer, some sort of analog chorus and delay into my amp and also have a volume/wah pedal. There is also a aux input so if you want to practice to some songs via phone, iPod or whatever this thing is great for that.I love my POD Xt but if you want something more get a Axe-FX, Kemper, or a nice tube amp.

logicbdj
    I agree with your comments.  I had this and could not dig the tones, even after quite a bit of tweaking.  It was a step up from what I was using (an old Boss rack unit), but is left in the dust with my Axe-Fx II.
    Rookd
    haha yea its kind of all what you dig personally but yea, I live my axe fx dude I was kind of a late bloomer and just got it a few months ago but it's my favorite piece of gear. What amps or patches you like or use on your axe fx??
    logicbdj
    I tend to use patches that have a Vai or Satriani sound to them (unless I'm doing some blues stuff).  I don't think any were stock... I downloaded them off the Fractal website.