PODXT review by Line 6

Line 6: PODXT

Purchased from: Friend

The guitar I use this with is a Schecter C-1+ with a D-Sonic and a Humbucker from Hell (both DiMarzio) in it. When I run it through an amp, it's my Crate V33-212, but most of the time it's hooked up into my computer sound system. The effects normally sound very good, although some obviously sound better than others. The big plus side here is that if you don't lke something about a tone, you can change every dimension of it until you do. If you use too much distortion, there is a lot of feedback and noise, but that's to be exected with distortion. I've been able to get sounds from artists like Foo Fighters and Metallica with ease.

I normally play anything from blues to hard rock, and this unit can get tones to match everything I want to play. The only thing I wish I had asked before buying this was how to set it up with the computer, since I spent a while attempting to figure that out. If this were stolen, I would probably buy another one. My favorite feature on the PODXT has to be that you can get any tone you want out of it, and that it works so well with the computer. The only other multieffects unit I've seen was my guitar teacher's Line 6 POD X3 Live, and this seems to do effects just as well as that did, though the convenience of the X3 Live being a floorboard is certainly a good feature. The only thing I wish the PODXT had is that it needs to come with a footswitch. Channel switching during a Live performance can be a pain, and changing sounds mid-song isn't even an option. Overall, though, it's a good buy.

This unit is very dependable. It's always worked when I've needed it to and it does work for Live play, however, I need to get the footswitch for it to use its full potential. The casing is bulletproof (or so it says on the box, I haven't actually shot the thing to test that), and it has survived a few drops with no damage at all.

If this is your first multieffects unit, you're going to be spending a while with the software just figuring out how to make the sounds you want. After a little bit of messing around, though, I was able to get some fairly good tones. The GearBox software that you can download makes everything so much easier, as you can search for premade tones for certain artists/songs and have an easier way to edit the sonds you already have. It also includes many more presets than are stored on the PODXT from he start.

SlimVillan
    NGMF-Sam.....if your tone is muddy you're probably not taking full advantage of the EQ which I have found really makes a difference...good luck )