Relay G30 review by Line 6

Line 6: Relay G30

Purchased from: Line 6

Ease of use? Couldn't be easier! Out of the box, into the guitar, done. If you're using it with other wireless microphones or other gear then you might have to toggle between RF1 and RF2 until they match, but that's the only complication I've found. If there is a manual, I only ever had to refer to it for that.

You do need to make sure that nothing else is on the same channel, but that's no big deal. I once had my guitar going through the wireless microphone receivers by accident... oops! That's not exactly a hard fix though, simply change the position of the sliders on the transmitter and receiver units.

I've been using this unit in various rock bands and at church for the last 2 years, and have found it be absolutely perfect. You can genuinely hear a significant difference in sound from a cable to this wireless unit. The digital preservation of your guitar's tone in second to none, I was incredibly surprised and have continued to be completely impressed ever since.

If you like what a cable does to your tone, you can use the cable simulator option and chose the length of cable it should sound like. This seems pretty pointless, as it's basically giving you the option to reduce the quality... but whatever!

Having used this for 2 years now without fault or damage, I can confidently say it can be very well relied upon! Some people comment on the security of the battery compartment flap on the transmitter, but in all fairness all you have to do to secure it is push the latch a little when you close the flap. It takes all of half a second and very little brain function to achieve, some people just like to complain over nothing I guess.

In terms of battery life, if people say it's only worth a single gig then they are very wrong and have a faulty unit! I gig at least once a week and practice once a week, and use this unit for both, yet only change the batteries every other week at the most. It lasts plenty of time and if you're not a snob about what batteries you use then it's not really that expensive. I use the red band Duracell, which are very cheap and just as good in my opinion!

I think the only thing that's a problem with the G30 is the short range. It's transmission range is pretty impressive, I've managed to get about 30 metres away before it starting to stutter, but it does start to pick up some latency fairly quickly. If I go from the stage to the sound desk (about 20 metres away) you can hear a delay. It's fractions of a second and hardly noticeable, but it does start to lag. But that being said, it's designed for small stage use!

That's the only problem I've had in all honesty. The sound is amazing, it's very reliable, battery life is pretty good, and it has plenty of channels. I've used a few analogue wireless units before and you can tell they lose something of your sound through the compression, but this is perfect.

TheTagMan
    So excited to be cable free.. I run the board in addition to guitar for my 5-piece band, so I MUST be able to step out in front and check the sound. This thing worked great in rehearsals. But at showtime, first set, second song, it just quit! The power switch wouldn't even work! I made the switch to a cord in time for the solo and finished the set on a wire. Figuring it was a fluke, I got the thing going again on the break, and we launched into the second set. Sure enough, third song in, it dropped out again! Incredible! Another fast patch to hardwire and that was it. The rest of the night I wouldn't touch it. I don't know what to make of it. Anybody else have a #G30Fail horror story? I can't trust this thing live without some answers.