ToneCore Echo Park review by Line 6

Line 6: ToneCore Echo Park

Price paid: C$ 120

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

First of all, I'll go over my gear. I'm using an Epiphone G-400 to a Line-6 UberMetal (most of the time) into the Echo Park. From there, I go into 2 crappy Traynor amps: bass mate 25 and guitar mate 15. As long as I have the noise gate on with the UberMetal, I don't get any noise from the echo park. Here are the different Modes: Normal - here you can tap in the delay time (or use the Time Knob) and your delays get echoed back as quarter notes at the same tempo you tapped in. Delay time ranges from 53ms to 2500ms. Eighth note triplets - pretty much the same as Normal, except your repeats are eighth note triplets. Delay time ranges from 18ms to 745ms Dotted eighth notes - Same as the 2 above, except you get dotted eigth notes. Delay time ranges from 40ms to 1676ms. Slap - much quicker delay. The delay time ranges from 10ms to 150ms on this mode. Swell - this is a cool mode. As your Echoes repeat, they get louder. Sweep - this one's a bit hard to describe. Your echoes kind of waver in volume as they go on. Ducking - this mode keeps your Echoes quiet while you're playing, but when you stop playing, they get louder. Multi 1 and 2 - They both give different rhythms. Ping-Pong - This is my favourite mode. It only works on stereo, and you need 2 amps. You can use the tap tempo (or time knob) to set the delay time. Your repeats then alternate between the 2 amps. It sounds amazing if you're between the 2 amps! Reverse: This one's pretty crazy. You set the tempo and then play something. When it repeats, it repeats what you just played - backwards! Sounds really trippy. Control Knobs: Mix - this knob controls the volume or your input signal and the output signal. With the knob at 7 o'clock, you only hear your original guitar sound, no echoes. And at 5 o'clock, you only get echoes. This is useful, and I'll explain that soon. Repeat: This controls the number of times your echoes repeat. At 7 o'clock, you get one echo. Working your way over to 5 o'clock increases the number of times, and finally, 5 o'clock is infinite repeats. Time - probably the hardest knob to you. It set the time between delays. I don't use this ever, except to get minimum delay time (just turn it to 7 o'clock.) Mod - each echo type (analog, digital or tape) has an added effect. The Mod Knob changes the level of the added effect. Mode - has all the modes (normal, eighth note triplets, etc.) on it. Tap Tempo - really useful function. All you do is lightly tap the footswitch at the tempo you want. Switches: Tape Delay - added effect of WOW and Flutter. Digital Delay - added effect of chorus. Analog - added effect of vibrato. I find that most of these sound the best with the mode knob at about 1-2 o'clock. Trails - all this does is have your echoes fade out if you turn the pedal off. Footswitch - You have to step on this pretty hard to turn the pedal off. If you step on it lightly, it set the tap tempo. There's also an LED light. When the pedals, bypass, it flashes red to the tempo it will repeat at when turned on. When the pedal's on, it flashes green to the tempo.

I got this pedal for 2 main reasons: It has more modes than the Boss DD-6, and it's cheaper. I play mostly old metal and classic rock (Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Guns N' Roses Iron Maiden, etc.) and it sounds really good. The Chorus effect with Digital Delay sounds really good for some clean stuff and even with distortion too. I've been playing for around 2 and a half years now, self taught, and I'm really impressed with the Echo Park. It seems like the best delay pedal for it's price range. I really love the ping pong, reverse and tap tempo, it makes this pedal much better. I'd go out and get this pedal right away again if something happened to it. I compared this pedal to the Boss DD-3 and DD-6, a picked this one because of the better delay time than DD-3 and more features than the DD-6. It's the same price as the DD-3, and far better, in my opinion. Great pedal, really glad I bought it!

Like all 4 pedals I have (Line-6 UberMetal and Echo Park, Boss RC-2, Vox V847 Wah-Wah) this pedal is really sturdy. Built of solid metal, it's not going to break easily. I obviously wouldn't try stepping on the computery part of it (green thing with the knobs on it) but even that looks pretty sturdy. I haven't used a battery with this pedal, I plugged it into the adapter right away. With my other Line-6 pedal, it killed the batteries very quickly. I'd gig with this, as long as it had an apadter.

This pedal looks A lot more complex than it actually is. It has 5 knobs (mix, repeat, time, mod, and mode) and 2 switches - delay type (analog, digital or tape) and trails. The modes are normal, eight note triplet repeats, dotted eighth note repeats, slap, swell, sweep delay, ducking, multi 1, multi 2, ping-pong and reverse. It also has tap-tempo. I'll go over these later. It took me about an hour to get the feel for it, and to explore every feature. It came with a manual that wasn't too too helpful, it just goes over the basics of what each knob does. It also had 3 setting recommendations: slappy-verb, dynamic delay (ducking) and 60's reverse. It also has a few spots to put down settings you like.

_GoingBlind_
    I use boss pedals for everything, swear by them, but I have this in my rig, coolest delay, the reverse feature is awesome though I only mess around with that setting, the ducking and swell and sweep fx I use in so many songs its ridiculous, the sound is rich and full, and with so many features you can pretty much get whatever you want out of it. So worth the money
    whytefyre_hawk
    Yea I have this baby and I really enjoy.It has pretty much everything you could ever do with a delay pedal. It's a top notch delay pedal for anyone who wants to get one.
    southpaw_tdg
    EnyoAdonai
    southpaw_tdg wrote: ya i bought this pedal like 5 months ago, the green cover is starting to peal up a bit but other than that sturdy as a rock, i love using it the only problem is when i'm not using it, it just feels like something is missing
    By "when I'm not using it", do you mean when it's on bypass or not in your rig at all?
    jur
    I love this pedal for its sounds and functions but now i have a problem with it. It seems ometimes the original signal is not sent to the amp,so that I only hear the echo's but i don't actually hear myself playing. This can be very useful for instance when using the'reverse' function. But it can also be very annoying to not hear yourself playing directly (this has kinda stopped me from using it now). I do remember occasions that it did put trough the original signal but i never understood how I turn this function(?) on and off. There's nothing in the 'Pilot's manual' either. has anyone had a similar problem? or do you have any idea for other places I could ask?
    stoneage_tbag
    I really like this pedal. I do have one complaint. The knobs and font are too small for all the options, yeah too many options, what a dumb complaint, but it does make a difference. Most of the time this does not matter, I only use a few settings, but when it comes to quick changes in dark settings, its hard to see with this pedal, you have to memorize it. But it sounds great and very diverse.
    doive
    AndrogynousMind wrote: can this be used on bass aswell like some Boss pedals?
    I have used my on bass and it holds up alright, but not brilliant. I have an active EQ on my bass and found i had to boost the bass about +1dB to get my normal tone, but once i'd done that it was perfect. (I should also point out i didn't notice the bass was lacking much until it compared side by side recordings