ToneCore Verbzilla review by Line 6

Line 6: ToneCore Verbzilla

Purchased from: Amazon.com

The sounds you can get from this thing are nice. The 'zilla has 10 reverb modes: '63 Spring, Spring, Plate, Room, Chamber, Hall, Ducking, Octo, Cave, and Tile. The '63 Spring is based on a 1963 brown spring reverb head unit, while Spring is a regular studio spring reverb. The Chamber emulates a stairwell or elevator shaft. The Ducking reverb is basically a Hall that gets louder when you stop playing. The Octo reverb shifts the reverb signal up an octave. What I don't like about it is that it's always on a short delay, so your playing doesn't match up with the output. And in Octo mode, the Time knob controls how dense the octave'd reverb is, so it's always on a delay regardless of the Time knob's position. The Cave reverb is my favorite. It goes great at 100% wet and with distortion. It's the best choice on the pedal for those long, ambient soundscapes and shoegazey walls of sound. The Tile reverb emulates the acoustics of a tiled room, like a bathroom or shower. The Echo mode is basically a delay with a little bit of reverb. In Echo mode, the Decay knob is like a Feedback knob (how many repeats), and the Time knob is how long the repeats go on for. Overall you have a good range of good sounds.

I play a lot of different styles, and this pedal works great for music that requires just some subtle reverb, all the way to full-blown ambient music or shoegazing. I chose the 'zilla because of it's multiple modes, good controls and it's ability to give 100% wet signal. If it were lost or stolen, I'd buy another one. This is a nice pedal.

The construction is alright. It's a bit heavy and seems fragile, I'd be careful in handling it. The Left/Mono (it has stereo output) input and outputs are a bit sketchy; they seem to clutch the plugs on my cords and I have to tug a bit to get them out. The Right input/output is not like this. I'm guessing this is just a defect with my model and now the whole line. While these aren't huge problems, they're still there. I think it would make a fine addition to a stage pedalboard though.

The Verbzilla is a pretty straightforward pedal. It has a Mix knob that can go all the way up to 100% wet and leave no original dry signal, a Decay knob that controls how long the reverb lasts, a Time knob which sets the wet signal on a short delay (10ms to 200ms), a Tone knob which is basically a treble control for the reverb, a Mode knob with 11 different modes, and a Trails Switch, that, when turned on, will let any already processed reverb ring out but let through dry signal if you were to kick the effect off and continue playing. Getting good sounds out of the pedal is easy. The manual explains everything well in four languages and even offers some example tones.

RobVergara
    Hey! I've been trying to find this pedal, but it seems to have disappeared. I've seen all the functionality and sounds on the verbzilla is included in the M5, M9, and M13.It seems to me very reasonable to get the m5 instead. My question is, has anyone compared the two (verbzilla and m5)? Is it the same tone? Thanks