TonePort GX review by Line 6

Line 6: TonePort GX

Purchased from: N/A (B-day Present)

The TonePort GX something for everybody. Simply put. You can put in reverb effects, delay effects, a phaser, a flanger, chorus effects, a compressor, an equalizer, tremolo effects, wah effects, even extra stompbox simulations for famous pedals like the Tube Screamer, and if it causes too much buzz, of course it has the noise gate to filter it all out. To back those up, it simulates how the sound is effected when moving the virtual microphone closer to or away from the Amplifier as it would in real life. It has different cabinet and amp models to alter the tone as well. There still hasn't been a tone I haven't been able to achieve on this thing.

The TonePort GX is great sound recording software for the beginner musician to sink teeth into. It's just enough to get a beginner started but can also satisfy more experienced people in the recording field. Good for any musical style, for anyone who can't afford the more expensive stuff right now, but is planning on investing for something better in the future. I definitely recommend this to anyone whos either just looking to record they're playing for fun or for serious stuff as well.

I haven't tried anything to test its durability, but it is made of plastic, it seems really durable though. Nothing to use on gigs though, only in personal recording. No glitches in the software have arisen. Though I haven't really 'looked' for anything bad, nothing really stands out to me. It looks like it'll last for a long time, until I actually choose to buy something that outmatches the GX. One cool feature is on the bottom of the GX there's a clip so you can attach it to the underside of your desk somehow if no room is left on top.

The TonePort GX gives you lots of options in the interface to wrap your mind around when you first open up it's Gearbox program but as it begins to grow on you, the possibilities seem endless. The updating was kind of a hassle, as updating required re-downloading the entire drivers for the TonePort GX instead of downloading only the new files needed. It's a little daunting at first, but you get used to it. My only real beef with it is that I can only get it to feed sound through it's line-out port through the back into my headset when directly playing through the TonePort. But to play it on PC speakers it's as simple as just recording a track and then playing it back on your desktop.

teknotard
    I have the UX1- its the samething but with a mic preamp and more outputs- but the tone is the same.I love this. It is perfect for recording an practicing without setting up a whole rig. Infact I used this to record my whole band (other then the drums). check it out at myspace.com/seesidepanel and you can get an idea of the tones
    Quackles
    And of course, you can use it as a multieffect"pedal" if you have it connected to an amp. Distortion on the amp + noise gate & Screamer in gearbox = great tone, and also extremely cheap. And you can of course combine that with delays, chorus and other stuff. So a really cheap "pedal"(although can't be carried around without the computer), I recommend it.
    doyleyboy
    does this work with 64bit windows? i have the ux1 and it (gearbox software) doesn't work with vista 64. i imagine it wouldn't work with xp 64 either. rather gutted as i spent 60 on it!
    mack attack
    I have this aswell and I deffently agree about the long updating process but other than that I love it to. Also you can get it to go through your computer speakers by going to Control Panel> Sound and Audio Devices>Audio and adjusting the Deafault Device to Line 6 Tone Port. But that's alot of work just for that to do everytime.
    mack attack
    Mine lags abit on my XP 2004 computer aswell (it makes clicking sounds in the recordings I make).
    teknotard
    I have had no probelms with laggin - and trust me I have the shittiest computer ever
    Uglybassist
    I was kind of annoyed with the whole line out thing at first. But I ended up just kind of routing my pc audio through the GX then plugging my PC speakers into the GX line out and it works fine. Never had any problems
    Joey Radical
    Well someimes, a loud screeching noise appears. And it can get quite frustrating when you're recording a song, and then when you've played it perfectly, it's ruined by the noise. Apart from that, great product.
    spoolunking
    i got a slightly used Line 6 TonePort UX2 USB Recording/Modeling Interface if any one is thinking about getting one. Its just a more in depth version of this one. If your interested message me and we can work out something.
    Deflection
    Absolutely awesome. So damn cheap, so damn good. Easy to use, TONS of different sounds, perfect quality when recording. Get it.
    orion284
    Could I plug this into the recording outputs in the back of my Line 6 Spider Jam and plug it into my computer and use Acid Music Studio instead of Gearbox?