TonePort GX review by Line 6

Line 6: TonePort GX

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

I run my Ibanez RG7321 and Fullerton FST3 through it. My FST3 is noisy to being with and when I use it with my GX it's just as bad as running it through an amplifier. The noise gate can kill the hum, but it also kills the tone. So be careful, don't go crazy with the noise gate. The Parametric EQ is the key to getting a good tone, the EQ can give you crap tone, or really good tone, you just have to tweak the hell out of it. All the effects suit my needs, so I'm not complaining about them, except the wah. The wah is horrible. It gives you the option to place the effects before or after the amp, so PRE and POST. The only bad thing about that is that it's only one or the other, I would like to have some before and some after, but that's fine. It simulates the mic'ing of a real amplifier, so you can choose how far or how close you want the mic to the amp, you can always choose which microphone you want to use. The options are limitless, you can take a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head and push it through a 2x12 Tweed cab. Or you can have the same amp and push it through a bass cab. Oh, I forgot about that. All the Toneport's offer bass amp and cabs as well as vocal preamps for bass and vocal recordings. If you don't like the selection of the bass amps/cabs, you can buy the Bass Expansion model pack from the Line 6 site. As well as upgrade your Effects and guitar amps/cabs. I bought the Metal Shop model pack a few days ago and I am very very very happy with it.

I play extreme types of metal but I also play softer stuff as well. This little thing is sooo versatile and my go to device when I want to record something. I play through this thing a lot, it is a great practice Tool, It comes with a tuner and a cool metronome. I was really iffy about buying this because I didn't think it could handle my type of music and well it kind of didn't. If you play anything like me, get the Metal Shop add-on. It's $25 and worth every penny, now I am truely happy with this product. The one thing that would make this thing truely the best for me, is if it had a footswitch capabilities, but it doesn't. I got one for $50 Brand New, it fits in the palm of my hand and I keep it on my desk all the time. This product is fantastic, you will not regret getting this.

It's very well built, but I wouldn't exactly use it for gigs. These are really cheap so if it breaks or get's stolen it'll be easy to replace. It is possible to use this for gigging. If you have a laptop with all your settings you can use the Line Out/Headphone jack to hook it up to the PA system. But, the only problem is that your tones will not sound the same. The different volume frequencies and size of the room will greatly affect your tone, so you'll have to play with it more for shows. It is possible though.

This product comes with the hardware (the Toneport) and the software (Gearbox.) Gearbox is the modeling software that you use to create, save, and share you tones. It is by no means, a recording software, it's strictly for dialing in your tones. Gearbox is very easy to use, you choose the amp model, cab and what effects you want, mess with the Equalization and you can get pretty much any tone your looking for. It's very user friendly, as long as you know what the effects are and what the parameters do, you'll be fine. There are online manuels and support if you have any problems or questions. You can visit the forums at Line6.com if you have a question or concern.

acefecoo
    about laggin... i've got a Win XP...Inter Celeton 2,66 Ghz, 1GB RAM, integrated sound card computer... is this enough for this TonePort?...i dont want any lags :S:S
    baldico
    doyleyboy : does this work with 64bit windows? works fine on my new 64bit vista pc.Also worked on my old laptop-1.66ghz dualcore,2gb ram, integrated sound and xp. Had mine a year now,not a week goes by without using it.Currently trying it out with Reaper v2.54 recording software,and seems promising so far!
    PRSfanatic
    I bought mine. Has major popping isues, you can't record anything with it, because of the pop. Customer support? Nonexistent. E-mailed them 3 times over 2 weeks, started a line6 forum thread, no responses to any of these.
    XtremesWolf
    Got it and love it, love the gear box as well, work good to record with Audacity software, easier then the live 7 to record this product sound better with my logitech 40$ speaker then my line 6 spider 3- 15w amps lol
    emilygooding03
    Do you think this would work with my computer? Right now my OS is Linux and I also have audacity.
    pipe2k27
    i have a shitty computer with windows xp... will this work fine on it?