TonePort UX1 review by Line 6

Line 6: TonePort UX1

Purchased from: Sam Ash

The sound is very good. You can monitor it with anything, headphones, speakers, or a small amplifier. The recording quality is excellent. The tones sound great during playback. There's an occasional small popping sound or weakinging signal on the output, but this isn't a major issue. As for getting the effects of your favorite artists, it's simple. All the effects you need are in the Gearbox software and possibly even in the Line 6 Tone Library.

I play various varieties of metal, and this can give me the sound I want without any other gear. Works great, easy to use, and fairly simple to set-up, if you are a beginner when it comes to recording, I would highly recommend this piece of equipment. I have tried out some other cheap USB interfaces like the M-Audio jamlab and the software they give you with that is trash. This is worth every penny.

As with all expensive equipment, I wouldn't drop it. Especially since this thing is fairly light. But it's built solid, and everything runs smoothly with it. I haven't encountered any bugs with the Gearbox software since upgrading it.

Once you get the hardware and software up and running, it's easy. It's very instrument friendly. Plug in, start up the software, and play. Now, the only difficulty is in running the included software (Gearbox). Version 1.0 is included on the CD, and it won't recognize the UX1 at first. You will have to use the Line 6 "Monkey" software to upgrade to Gearbox 3. This was annoying at first because there isn't much in the way of a manual to guide you through this part. Once you do that, you're done, everything is a snap. Customizing tones and effects is simple. Everything works the way you expect it to. Downloading effects from the Line 6 tone library is also easy and very fast. So, like I said, the only problem is with the initial upgrading of the software. Oh, I almost forgot to mention the included version of the Ableton Live recording software. It's not the greatest thing to use, there are much better recording programs available for free out there to use that I would recommend over that.