TonePort UX1 review by Line 6

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 10
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reliability & Durability: 9
  • Ease of Use: 10
  • Reviewer's score: 9.8 Superb
  • Users' score: 7.3 (73 votes)
Line 6: TonePort UX1
0

Price paid: $ 102

Purchased from: studica.com

Sound — 10
I run my guitar into my Toneport then I run a cable to my sound card and the USB to my pc I have a nice set of monitors so I get awesome low end. You can connet to internet and download tones from Guitarport.com but I don't have connection of my set up. And what sucks is the guitarport.com will not let you extract files to disk to tranfer to offline computer but oh well. I really enjoy just messin around with this thing endless tweekin is really fun.

Overall Impression — 10
Any style of Music is a good match for the Toneport. I play through a Marshall VS265 I have a bunch of effects. This will never replace these but it's a great new way to record. I love the end less tweeking but hate the fact that you have to be online to enjoy guitarport.com. If lost/stolen I would cry a little but get over it and buy another one.

Reliability & Durability — 9
Extreamly reliable, I really like to record with this through Audacity and they work great together, I wouldn't recommend dropping the Tonport, it's Plastic. As far as giggin with goes If you had a laptop you could gig with this by pluggin straight into amp or PA.

Ease of Use — 10
Very easy to get great sound out of the TonePort UX1 I was up and running in 5 minutes The manual is included in the software. You can edit all the factory presets and they all sound really cool.Its so easy a caveman could do it. I mean it no prblems at all tweekin this software to get awesome delay or killer tube tones.

11 comments sorted by best / new / date

    rewiredll
    Im going to buy one of those and Id love to know how to download new patches!? and you cant download from guitarport.com unless you got a... guitarport. Help appreciated.
    mfergel
    Why would you guys connect this too your amp? Seriously.....if you want to record your amp, get a mic and use the mic input. No one serious about tone would run straight out of the preamp (effects send) and I hope to god you guys aren't running from a speaker out on an amp head.....and, if your goal was to record your regular amp, then why even buy this? There are plenty of other interfaces designed strictly as line/mic inputs for your computer.
    f1sk
    mfergel wrote: Why would you guys connect this too your amp? Seriously.....if you want to record your amp, get a mic and use the mic input. No one serious about tone would run straight out of the preamp (effects send) and I hope to god you guys aren't running from a speaker out on an amp head.....and, if your goal was to record your regular amp, then why even buy this? There are plenty of other interfaces designed strictly as line/mic inputs for your computer.
    you're missing the point, first off you can mic your amp with this if you want, it has a regular mic input, so if nothing else it can serve as hardware, second its like owning a million effects, also you can use it for the mac programs like garage band, or logic studio(express also) and finally, I own a mesa boogie, im not going to haul the head around as well as a cabinet every time i want to record, when i can just hook this up to my laptop
    Guitar Sletten
    Can someone tell me how this actually works? Do you just plug it in to the amp through a cable, and play with the amp sound or a stompbox? I wanna get one of these, but i dont know how it works..
    Goldengitar
    I'm planning on buying this wonderful piece of equipment.. Anyone who knows if it works with Windows Vista? Doesn't say on the line6 website!
    daryle_goh
    Guitar Sletten wrote: Can someone tell me how this actually works? Do you just plug it in to the amp through a cable, and play with the amp sound or a stompbox? I wanna get one of these, but i dont know how it works..
    http://line6.com/toneportux1/
    Goblumich07
    Goldengitar wrote: I'm planning on buying this wonderful piece of equipment.. Anyone who knows if it works with Windows Vista? Doesn't say on the line6 website!
    yea it does, running it now also, this thing is WELL worth any money it may be
    jonas83
    Something above about Ableton not being the best software around: For absolute beginers, what's the best music editing/recording software to use with the UX1? (Preferably something with a straight forward, easy to use drum machine/tracker.)
    tomisfatt01
    Can someone tell me if it's only compatible with Windows XP SP2? I have SP1 and it wont let me download 2...