TonePort UX1 review by Line 6

Line 6: TonePort UX1

Purchased from: eBay

There's so many options here it will be impossible to list. Even so, Line6 offer 3 different packs around $50 each or $100 for all 3 with loads more effects, which are Metal Shop, Collectors Classics and FX Junkie (more can be read at line6.com). Line6 even off GuitarPort Online where you can download tons of presets for your favorite bands (for a subscription fee of around $10 a month). Also, if your getting some sort of weird noise or static noise or sharp burst of noise or something that I see a lot of people complaining about with this product, this usually has something to do with your system performance, and by simply increasing the buffer size on the program will fix this! If it doesn't, you have a fault in the product or the cable or a very slow PC. Bottom Line: tons of effects which are usually only seen in expensive multi effects pedals with the benefit of being able to record your music (which sounds great). Personally I don't use the Abelton Live, but simply just GarageBand (MAC) and it works great!

I play all sounds of music from blues, rock and even some metal music. This product is Perfect if you wish to record your sound and get a ton of useful amp sounds and effects. I also have a Marshall 250dfx combo amp and have been playing for around 3/4 years now. I use this product with my Ibanez RG2570 and honestly sounds great, even playing through my computer speakers instead of my amp! I would definitely buy a replacement product if this broke or got stolen. You might also wish to look at the UX2 which has more dedicated inputs/outputs although this is also a fantastic product for the price! My favorite thing about this product is that it is so small and dependable, that I don't feel the need to have a very big powerful amp in order to get a good guitar sound. This is all you need!

I've had it a few weeks now and believe this product is very reliable, but being as it is a computer device and knowing that computers tend to go wrong, I wouldn't recommend this product with out a back up. I can't imagine anything going wrong with this product inside the warranty and considering it's made by a top brand in the music industry, it's looking like a great product at a fantastic price.

First of all, you should all be aware that when you purchase this product, go straight to the line6 website and download the latest software of GearBox (version 3 atm) and Monkey. The software on the CD is so out of date I could not even get the product to work and probably wasted about an hour! I had to look on a forum to get this product to work as the manual is so bad it's useless. Never the less, after finally getting the product to work and play through my computer speakers (1/4 headphone jack needed) I was very happy with the results. It's so easy to edit your sound, customize every pedal output and even download some free presets right in the software.

Daemaas
    I just picked of one of these myself. It IS only compatible with SP2.
    Romeospades
    I'm using this rightnow, and its been great, it has the clean sound, the heavy distortion and everything you would need, hell I wouldnt be surprised if I landed A few gigs with this thing all I would need is my laptop and and some big speakers for the room, and bam! I'm set. It rocks!
    mickmos
    do you need a good soundcard to make this work or doesn't it make a difference
    daryle_goh
    OttovanZanten wrote: you cannot connect this to your normal amp? only to your computer (and then to your amp)?
    yes you can. there is a port on the front of it that has a "headphone" sign. all you need to do is use a patch cable, or an ordinary 15ft cable (up to you) and connect the toneport's "headphone" port in to the amp's "input port". you can also use the computer speakers as output devices but i guess no one here is interested in hearing that eh? shan't waste my effort
    daryle_goh
    oh shit.... sorry. i misunderstood. yes you have to connect your computer to the tone port. the toneport is completely run by the software on the computer. that's the only way to operate it.
    darksideoftom
    thats right because it isnt really a pre amp its a device for effects "on your computer" or recording "on your computer".
    The JesterHead
    This little "light as a feather" thing is one of the most useful little recording utilities you can get... For a reasonable amount of cash, you get studio quality recording; and combined with the ToonTrack EZ Drummer (if you don't have what is needed to record real drums) - this little masterpiece will make you wanna record an entire album. I'm actually borrowing it from my friend so we can finish our album, but once I return it - I'm definetly getting one!
    ESP Axes Man
    Could I run the software. i don't know much about computers but i have 512 ram and my computer is just ok. I can't play modern games at all if that gives you an idea thanks
    Musicman_91
    Daemaas wrote: I just picked of one of these myself. It IS only compatible with SP2.
    Not SP3? Anyone?