TonePort UX2 review by Line 6

• Reviewer's score: 3 Poor
Line 6: TonePort UX2

Purchased from: Gak.com

The sound was hard to turn down the volume on bits if you where getting to much feedback as same as the last time you could only edit it in certain places. The effects on the sound where not to reliable none of the settings had the right sound for many things. The mane sound problems where to much distortion not enough or there would be a really annoying echo. I was recording metal and hardcore mainly I found it really hard to get the right sound for these styles I also tried recording some f--k/rock like the red hot chilli peppers on this I found that there was to much echo was coming out and even on the clean channel it had buzz.

My overall impression was not impressed at all. I should of checked with people what they fought about it before I ordered it. One problem that it doesn't really state much is it doesn't record drums you have to make up drum riffs as if it's guitar pro and the cymbals all sound terrible. If this was to brake I really wouldn't even think about getting a new one.

I really could not depend on this for being reliable when I am in the mood for recording music I get really stressed out with all the problems on it I have not managed to record a hole song yet. It seems pretty durable I have not had any problems with it braking witch seems to be my problem with electronics.

There are plenty of sounds on the software but not many of them are very good to use. I have used EMG's on it and every distortion came out really to distorted (even the crunch). I also used a strat witch sound wasn't to bad. It would be allot more useful if you could play through your amp instead of plugging it into the box. If I was to use the sound on this I would use clean and if I wanted distortion I would plug a pedal in as the sounds where not amazing.

mfergel
    How long have you owned it? Sounds to me like a lot of the problem is user error. Maybe your biggest problem is with the limited edition Abelton software? It's very limited....you can use the Toneport as you can any hardware interface. Maybe you should invest in a proper recording application and sit down and really learn to use this first.
    coolhandluke123
    This is the worst review ever. It sounds like you just don't know how to make a good tone using the gearbox software. Some of the presets are quite good anyway. And the ableton software is a limited version, and imo not the best music recording/editing software available. Please ignore this review and ask on forums/in person for opinions on the TonePort. For 125 it is well worth the money if you want to do some fairly good quality recordings and if you want to experiment with effects you may not have as physical pedals.
    MESAexplorer
    I own this product as well. Its great for the most part. My only problem is that the output to the recording programs is a little on the quiet side which forces me to do more tracks than I should have to do. I'd give it an 9 overall.
    Nor'Easterbass
    well, the presets that come with it kinda do suck for stuff like metal, but anything else, they effing rule. The span of sounds you can get is amazing. I bought the MetalShop plug-in for some good heads, and now i use the TonePort instead of a pre-amp. It sounds really good, believe it or not. Give this device and the software an 8/10. Good little piece.
    strq010
    you can use your amp with this shit, you can use either a microphone (no shit sherlock) or use the direct out/speaker out and bypass the software. good job numbnuts. i have a UX1, pretty much the same, and i'd give that a 9 CONSIDERING THE PRICE
    mafoogles
    i own one of thosae and it's great! along with it you can by the riff tracker, which allows you to actually make a cd. i mean you have axess to make any sound that can come out of a guitar come, so why would you not like that?
    EvhWolfgang5150
    i have one and it's great i give it a 9 out of 10. i ownd the ux1 model. me and my band recorded alot of stuff. the recording software we used was a old verison of cakewalk guitar tracks. some time's i hooked up my mic and recorded from an amp and i use the toneport it's self.