TonePort UX2 review by Line 6

Line 6: TonePort UX2

I use this with a Schecter Hellraiser and it sounds very good with it. It's easy to get a heavy sound. Of course it doesn't sound like a tube amp, but then again it's not a tube amp is it? The effects that are built in the software are very good, especially the chorus. The only effect that I don't like very much is the Wah, but I'm not a person that enjoys using wah that much, so I could just be being bias. The distortion that's possible with this is very good. I got a pretty heavy sound that's comparable to Metallica or Pantera. To achieve this I just put on an amp model that has fairly good distortion to begin with and used the tube Screamer distortion effect to boost it. It gets noisy at times, but this is easily countered with noise reduction.

I mainly play Metal, but I also have been known to play bluesy and neoclassical types of music. I've been playing for 1 1/2 years and I own a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, Jackson DXMG, and a Vox Valvetronix amp. I bought this mainly for recording things online and this is very much suited for that and much more. After you learn how to hook it and use everything it's great. I'm pretty pleased with this so far.

I only got this today so I can't really judge how reliable this is. But, from what I see it seems fairly reliable and durable. It is made of fairly hard plastic and it seems like it would be able to with stand quite a bit, not that I recommend making it withstand anything.

There is a slight learning curve on this. I just got this today and it took me a few hours to figure things out. I use this with Windows Vista, and the drivers and such are fairly unstable currently with this, could just be my computer although. Editing all of the settings is easy. It's fairly straight forward to edit everything, change amp models and speaker models.

super.rad
    Can anyone tell me what other software this works with? Cubase is a big requirement for me
    cheese_in_a_box
    Wow, that review is horrible. "I have used EMGs on it and every distortion came out really to distorted (even the crunch). I also used a strat witch sound wasnt to bad. It would be allot more useful if you could play through your amp instead of plugging it into the box." Did you read the manual or look into your product any further? It has an input for you active instruments i.e. if your guitar has EMG's. Also spell check doesn't catch all you errors so make sure you are using the right grammar and diction before you make a review. It helps let your audience understand what you are trying to say, especially if you going to bash the product you're reviewing. Otherwise, this product is a great and cheap solution for anyone who wants to record a song with multiple instruments. The effects are nice and all work as they should. I defiantly recommend it. 9/10
    Nathan333
    I don't know wtf is up with the ratings, but I know that they're bullsh*t. I got one a few days ago and it's the best thing I've ever brought. 10/10.
    jumpmanhat
    10/10 for sure. i have to say that if you dont tweak and spend a LONG time with the controls on gearbox you are probably not gonna find the best tone and give up. BUT if you do, FUCK, your search for tone is done.
    dustinrhocks4
    dude there is a mic input on it... so all you have to do is mic your amp, its not that difficult to figure out. and it sounds like you just don't know how to use it correctly.
    RSNE
    Honestly one of the greatest things I've ever purchased. I started playing guitar when i was 13 years old in 1998 I'm now 23 years old, and I've been slowly building up a studio with condenser mics, cables, mixer, and was looking for the perfect audio interface. Now believe me, I know millions of covers and guitar tones from albums to a T. It's just from years of playing and listening. So when i hooked this up, i was amazed at everything on here. I honestly haven't been more happy with a music related purchase in all of my life. I bought it from guitar center for $149, and i definitely plan on getting the updating gold bundle soon to have all of those amps and effects too. You can play anything from Incubus to Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream album (effects lovers know what I'm talking about), or even Pantera on it. It's honestly amazing. Best thing you'll ever buy. Unless you have the money to buy all of these amps, mics, preamps, and effect pedals individually. Then do that i guess. But this thing is all anyone would ever need to record killer vocals, bass, and guitar tracks. I have a PA system in my room, so i set my recording softare to playback through the ux2 box rather than my computer speakers. Then i put the headphones on on playback to mix everything, then through my PA and turn it up loud to see if it hits, and it's amazing. It's brilliant i'm telling you.
    Kalyth
    Hi guys, I was planning to buy this piece too, as my PC audio card really sucks. I'd record with Adobe AUdition (cubase) and I already discovered it works fine, but the thing I'm asking is: can I use pedals with it? I mean, can I use my complete set (wah->distortion->Delay) and plug the combo in the Toneport guitar entry or should I use the 2 footswitch entry pulgs?