Clean/Dirty FX Loop Plus Channel Switching Review

6.8
 4.5
 2,114
review (1) pictures (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Clean/Dirty FX Loop Plus Channel Switching Reviewed by: iheartgun, on july 13, 2011

Purchased from: www.loop-master.com/

Ease of Use: The Loop-Master Clean/Dirty Loop And Channel Switcher (CDCS as it will be referred) can make your switching headaches vanish with the simple push of a button. For someone who uses multiple stomp boxes and does not want to convert to a midi setup or a full digital processor unit this simple pedal can help you achieve switching simplicity. This pedal is true bypass and in my rig it is completely transparent. I have suffered no tone loss and no hissing. This pedal sports two independent loops, a loop bypass, a loop combine Switch as well as in and out for straight to amp. Effect editing is as simple as putting your choice effect pedals in your loop. The pedals connect to the CDCS via send and return inputs. There are two sets of these inputs for two loops. The main selling point of this pedal is the ability to Switch your amp channels with effects via TRS cable. I understand that there are many forms of amp switching but if you use TRS this is the way to go. Using a polarity Switch on the side of the pedal you can "assign" an effect loop to a channel on your amp. Loop A for me is clean so I have a chorus and delay assigned to the first loop with the polarity Switch up for the clean channel on my amp. Loop B for me is my amps distortion channel with a OD and Phaser with the polarity Switch down. There is also a combine Switch so I can combine the loops. Even though this pedal still requires you to set up some effects before they are needed it really does take away the "tap dance" that we are often doing. Finishing up the features is the bypass Switch that bypasses both loops and runs your guitar straight to the amp. The pedal is shipped with a piece of paper that I guess you can call a manual. The instructions go over how to hook your pedal up and it covers the basic functions for it. There is a downside to the manual as there are limited troubleshooting instructions. The main downside to this pedal is the fact that you only get two loops to choose from this pedal would get a 10 out of 10 if I could have three independent loops but for your baseline tone switching this is the best I have used so far. // 8

Sound: My setup is actually pretty simple, I use a Crate Blue Voodoo 120H into a Peavey 5150 cab. My main guitars are my PRS SE Custom with EMG 81/85 pickups and my Epiphone 58' Explorer with a Seymour Duncan JB/59 pickup set. For my baseline tones ie: distortion and cleans, I use the CDCS to Switch between a Boss CE-1 Chorus/Delta Labs Delay and a Boss SD-1 overdrive/modded MXR Phase 90. My volume and Wah are in the straight to amp loop on the pedal, and my noise gate, eq and Sonic Stomp are in the fx loop of the amp. The CDCS performs all my switching needs perfectly if I need flanger I set it up ahead of time by turning off my chorus/delay and I just turn on my flange and hit the combine switch. I can now create any sound I need with minimal switching. The only downside to this pedal is sometimes there is a slight pop when switching from clean to dirty. When switching from dirty to clean there is nothing. Other than the occasional pop sound I can get pretty much any tone at any time. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have used it at band practice since the day I got it. I was actually late to practice that day because I was hooking it up and testing it. My board has actually been tipped over and the CDCS was the pedal that caught the impact. I'd say yes I can depend on it, but I'm the kind of guy who likes to have a backup for any situation. If I had no choice I'd gig with it without a backup and I know it wouldn't fail. This pedal is built like a tank. It truly is a solid piece of equipment. I'm going to give it a ten out of ten just because of the craftsmanship and I can't take away from it just because of my personal preference to have a backup which in this case is a Boss line selector. // 10

Overall Impression: I like to play everything from country to pop to metal. My main style is Killswitch/Times Of Grace style metal. Since I Switch from clean to dirty a lot and I use a good amount of effects for coloring passages in my music I'd say this pedal is great for me. The main drawback from this pedal and Loop master is the wait time. Loop master's shop is ran by one person and my order took just shy of three months to complete not to mention he recalled it because he discovered a bad batch of switches. If it were stolen I would definitely buy another and I'd do it in a heartbeat as I depend on this pedal pretty heavily. My favorite aspect of this pedal besides what it does is that you can customize your LED lights for your channels. I have compared my ever expanding rig to the TC Electronics G system as well as the Boss GT-10 and the Line 6 floor processors. For what I do I chose this for the sake of simplicity and for the cost. My bass player uses the GT-10B in his rig and there is so much stuff on that board that I get lost in it. It boils down to the fact that I have no use for all that stuff if I want a new sound I'll go buy the pedal that does it and throw it in a loop on my board. I highly recommend this pedal to anyone who has a similar setup to me or just wants something to help them cut back on the channel and effect tap dance. // 9

Comments