Amp Eleven Review

8.5
 1,672
review (1) pictures (3) user comments vote for this gear:
Amp Eleven Reviewed by: redrock, on august 04, 2015

Ease of Use: As I mentioned earlier the controls are straight forward but it took me a couple of hours to get it right. Mainly because "right" takes a bit of time to figure out for each pedal. No problem for me I'm not much into "plug and play" instead I look for all the appliances of a new tone tool (or toy). With bass and tone full on and drive at zero (volume abut 10 o'clock) I got the same sound as my guitar, an Epi Standard. So rolling them back and adding gain gave me what I was looking for. I got no manual with it and frankly who wold need one. (It would probably be as informative as the one that comes with the Boss DS-1) // 10

Sound: The pedal sounds transparent and clear. I bought it as an addition to my overdrives mainly to be used with my humbucker guitars cause lacked a low gain drive that remained low gain when changing between single coil and humbucker. I got the right one for the job. The gain is low and sweet up til noon and then changes into a fuller more edgy (for a low gain pedal) and "lead friendly" tone. But I like it best at between nine and noon where it is just as if your amp were turned a bit too loud. The controls are simple: Volume, Drive, Bass, Tone and Boost. The boost is not a clean boost but a dirty one that adds gain as well as volume. It is basically Lovepedal's "Amp 50". So you have a lot of gain (Overdrive) interaction to work with. Alone the boost is a bit dark, but paired with the other side of the pedal you find they match each other pretty good. The pedal is a bit noisy. About the same amount as a (well shielded) single coil guitar. It got a bit better when I put it in a loop but it is not dead quiet. Summed up a great pedal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The box is solid and the paint looks like it could withstand a lot before falling of. The knobs on my pedal have been changed to larger ones, previous owner I guess, so I can't tell about the original. The small knobs for Bass and Tone are a bit different and are only protected by "being small" and not in the way. Accidental stomping on them could mean harming or terminating your pedal. But the risk of it happening seems small. I only unscrewed the backplate to install a battery so I can't tell much of the build but the Boost pot is scratchy. By what I read it is supposed to since it changes the bias of the circuit. So annoying yes and noting you'd do while playing a gig but a fairly mild annoyance. // 9

Overall Impression: The overall impression is very good. The versatility in sounds are good but better are the few sweet spots. I play singer/songwriter and blues and it suits them both good. I will use it primarily for low gain overdrive but it works good for higher gain applications too. As the name implies it sounds reacts a tube amp all the way to eleven (my Blues Jr goes to 12 but that's another story I guess). The pedal lacks a mid range control and it limits it from doing a TS clone thing, something I don't mind at all. If I lost it I'm not sure I would replace it, not cause of the quality, but since there are so many pedals I'm left to discover. // 9

Comments