Black Box review by M-Audio

M-Audio: Black Box

I have an introductory level guitar Ibanez GRX20, and a Fender Deluxe Amp. Although I am fairly new to playing guitar, I have been exposed to different amp sounds and effects for most of my life, and the amp emulations from the Black Box are DEAD ON, when I crank up some Boogie or Deisel, noise through the Fender Deluxe I couldn't tell the difference with my eyes closed. Also the recording quality into the computer is top notch, no buzz or hum just exactly what you hear through the amp or headphones. There are quite a number of effects emulations as well many of which are multiple versions of different effects, and many I wouldn't have a use for but the ones I do use are quite accurate and a lot of fun.

I play a lot of classic rock and metal, and the Black Box cranks out some classic sounds and effects and that make me smile real big. If it got stolen I'd probably buy another the same day, don't know where I'd be without it. I record a lot of stuff and solo over it, and add drum beats and stuff, this is absolutely perfect for a recording artist or somebody who can't afford a crazy amp but still wants that ripping sound. If you're in the market for a guitar processor should seriously consider the Black Box, just try it out, it stands out in the pack.

Plastic top, but a metal bottom and sides, seems like It could survive some time on the road but I wouldn't beat it up like I could with a big chunky metal distortion pedal, I did scratch the screen in the first day of owning it so could be a little more durable.

My Black Box Reloaded is running firmware 2 which makes it very easy to use. Getting different effects and amp sounds is as easy as you could possibly imagine. The manual well written and clear, worth a read. Couldn't have designed an easier Machine. Connecting to the computer and recording riffs with the included software is as easy as connecting a USB port and playing.

royals_rocker
    ok, i am exactly the same as taren, i got it for a birthday present, and it is amazing with my ibanez. i got the black box pedal bought with a programmable expression pedal and 2 prgrammable footswitches, makes it easier by far.
    nik_I
    i have had some issues with the pedal board. the wires are getting loose and im not able to use one of the buttons all the time as a result. it might be worth checking out a different pedal board
    nik_I
    also for god sakes dont lose the AC adaptor! i have yet to find a store that sells it. and i've checked so many. My only option now is to order one off the internet for way more than it shud cost.
    wongsta
    um, most AC adaptors are the same, so unless it has to be specifically regulated, you could get any electrition to salvage an old one and use it for the pedal. My Zoom pedal didn't come with one and I did that and it worked =).
    nik_I
    the problem is the actual connector on the end. i didnt find a single one with the right connector. now of course you can just change it.
    fazgaz#
    umm..im pretty new to effects.... so can you plug headfones in the black box and play from there??
    Taren
    Got this as a birthday gift and it RAWKZ i dont know how to say it its kick ass with my ibanez