Shredhead - British Distortion review by M.V. Electronics

M.V. Electronics: Shredhead - British Distortion

Purchased from: Mark V himself

I use the pedal with my Washburn WG208 and Behringer Strat Copy (Pretty cheap, but as long as you know how to tweak those knobs they can sound like guitars that cost a hell lot more). My amp is a 10-watt Boston Engineering M6. Sir Mark V describes it as a "Marshall in a box". I have to agree - the pedal can really produce neat Marshall Drive tones. The pedal is very quiet even at high gain settings. The Tone and Presence knobs make the pedal very versatile indeed. The Drive knob offers nice control of the amount of distortion (from simple crunch to high gain, just tweak the knob and you'll get it). The distortion, however, seems a bit too "sharp" (aggressive in terms of treble), and may sometimes need a booster like an Overdrive pedal or an EQ to make it more thicker. But it's still great! Simple tweaking can help you emulate Aerosmith, The Darkness, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert, and Slash-like tones. Somebody told me before that the pedal sounds thicker and better with 18v. I only have a 9v power supply so I can't verify this claim. Mark V also said that the pedal will also sound better on bigger amps.

I play a wide range or styles (Dream Theater, Steve Vai, Van Halen, OPM Rock, and even SNSD because I think they are cute). For punk, alternative, and 80s or glam rock, this pedal nails it; but whenever I try to play Dream Theater songs I really have to use another dirt pedal to get me closer to Petrucci's sound. I have been playing for almost a decade and own/use Danelectro, Behringer, and Zoom pedals. The Shredhead really made my rig alive. I really bought it out of impulse (more especially after watching the demos on YouTube) yet I would never regret buying it (not one of the so-called "expensive mistakes"). If the pedal would ever get stolen or lost, I would quickly order another one from Sir Mark V, find the culprit and shred him literally ala-Wrong Turn / Saw. I strongly recommend this pedal to my fellow musicians.

This pedal is very durable - tough metal case and the components are high grade. It can be used without a backup. The pedal is very much dependable and would probably last a long time, especially if you know how to take care of it. Any piece of gear, no matter how expensive or what brand it is will break right away when raped, even if it's made of solid steel.

This pedal is very easy to use, tweaking is a breeze. You can dial in great tones in a jiffy. It has four knobs: volume, gain, tone, and presence. It does not come with any box or manual, but it doesn't matter at all. The pedal may also run in either 9v or 18v, I just do not know its current draw (mA).

UnoriginalUsern
    Any piece of gear, no matter how expensive or what brand it is will break right away when raped , even if it's made of solid steel.
    I just don't even know what to say to that.
    marbelbaby
    deathofagod
    marbelbaby wrote: Hello Dear, My name is Mabel i saw you profile today and became intrested in you and i want you to contact me back through my private email ( marbeldon@yahoo.com ) here so that i can give you my photo for you to know whom i am,and remember that distance or colour doesn't matter anything but love matters allot in life,am waiting for your reply. OK Mabel
    Oh jesus, how funny?
    shetalks777
    markelijah wrote on 11/30/2011 - 05:53 am / quote | are you pinoy?
    Yup, I am Pinoy. =)
    ermonski
    I have this pedal. Probably the best distortion pedal I've ever had, you can go from Pearl Jam to Paul Gilbert, to Metallica, to Wolfgang, to Razorback tones. I tried it with 15v and sounds like a tight chugger. I prefer 9v though as it sounds more open. I'm planning to get a Plugzz Rectorizer pedal for Mesa tones. but if you'll ever have a single distortion pedal, Shredhead is the best choice. Mabuhay!