Shredhead - British Distortion Review

4,073
reviews (2) pictures (3) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Shredhead - British Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 30, 2011

Purchased from: Mark V himself

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use, tweaking is a breeze. You can dial in great tones in a jiffy. It has four knobs: volume, gain, tone, and presence. It does not come with any box or manual, but it doesn't matter at all. The pedal may also run in either 9v or 18v, I just do not know its current draw (mA). // 10

Sound: I use the pedal with my Washburn WG208 and Behringer Strat Copy (Pretty cheap, but as long as you know how to tweak those knobs they can sound like guitars that cost a hell lot more). My amp is a 10-watt Boston Engineering M6. Sir Mark V describes it as a "Marshall in a box". I have to agree - the pedal can really produce neat Marshall Drive tones. The pedal is very quiet even at high gain settings. The Tone and Presence knobs make the pedal very versatile indeed. The Drive knob offers nice control of the amount of distortion (from simple crunch to high gain, just tweak the knob and you'll get it). The distortion, however, seems a bit too "sharp" (aggressive in terms of treble), and may sometimes need a booster like an Overdrive pedal or an EQ to make it more thicker. But it's still great! Simple tweaking can help you emulate Aerosmith, The Darkness, Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert, and Slash-like tones. Somebody told me before that the pedal sounds thicker and better with 18v. I only have a 9v power supply so I can't verify this claim. Mark V also said that the pedal will also sound better on bigger amps. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is very durable - tough metal case and the components are high grade. It can be used without a backup. The pedal is very much dependable and would probably last a long time, especially if you know how to take care of it. Any piece of gear, no matter how expensive or what brand it is will break right away when raped, even if it's made of solid steel. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a wide range or styles (Dream Theater, Steve Vai, Van Halen, OPM Rock, and even SNSD because I think they are cute). For punk, alternative, and 80s or glam rock, this pedal nails it; but whenever I try to play Dream Theater songs I really have to use another dirt pedal to get me closer to Petrucci's sound. I have been playing for almost a decade and own/use Danelectro, Behringer, and Zoom pedals. The Shredhead really made my rig alive. I really bought it out of impulse (more especially after watching the demos on YouTube) yet I would never regret buying it (not one of the so-called "expensive mistakes"). If the pedal would ever get stolen or lost, I would quickly order another one from Sir Mark V, find the culprit and shred him literally ala-Wrong Turn / Saw. I strongly recommend this pedal to my fellow musicians. // 10

Shredhead - British Distortion Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 30, 2012

Purchased from: Mark V.

Ease of Use: This pedal is very easy to use. Four knobs to edit your level, gain, tone and presence. I bought the pedal made around the 400 mark, forgot what issue it was exactly. There's no manual for this pedal, not even a box (but that's alright). Wished the design was painted on the box though rather of it being just a sticker. But that's just personal taste. // 10

Sound: I'm using an Ibanez Semi-Hollow guitar, through a Marshall Valvestate. I must say that this little pedal packs a mean punch. The only issue for me here is the noise it makes when the pedal is left on and the gain gets past the 12 o'clock mark. Also, this pedal is perfect for metal or hard rock types, but maybe a little bit off for alternative, pop-punk or pop rock types of songs. The tone is there, the sustain is there - it's just that it could get pretty muddy around the low-mid frequency and a bit, "reverberated". Could be the presence knob? I'm not sure. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Looks okay. Knobs looks a bit fragile, but love the overall size though as it's pretty easy to carry around. Had small issues with the switch when it wouldn't turn on when stomped at, but it was just a one time thing. Pretty reliable for gigs. BUT, honestly I'd bring a backup distortion just in case it conks out. // 8

Overall Impression: I prefer distortion boxes that have a much quicker, tighter response when it comes to attack. But that's personally just a matter of taste, and this pedal stays as a great pedal in itself. Although you really might want to try it out first for yourself and see if it matches your style of music. I was tempted to replace this pedal of my board, but decided to keep it for searing classic lead solos - now that, this pedal does wonderfully. // 8

Comments